Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Busy Saturday...

A couple weeks ago my niece had come over with something she wanted to ask me. She and her boyfriend had set their wedding date to April 16th, and they were in desperate need of some help. Of course I jumped at the chance to help her.

She knew I decorated cakes so she asked me to help out with the cake which I assured her that it was no problem since I had all the pans that I needed for what she wanted. She also asked if I would help with the flowers too. Well, I have never done anything like that but was up for the challenge.

The past few weeks I have been doing a lot of research because I wanted to be able to do something I hoped she would love. Her theme for the wedding is 'Camouflage' so she wanted to use white and orange flowers in her bouquets. The flowers she gave me were just orange and white Gerber daisies which seemed like no matter what I tried didn't work. I called her and asked her if she minded if I bought some other flowers to add to them, my treat. She told me it was fine... she trusted me.

Well, this is what I finally came up with...

The Bride's bouquet

This is how I ended up wrapping the stems. Underneath the ribbon is a piece of 'Mossy Oak' fabric. I really like how the ribbon turned out.
This is one of the two boutonnieres I had to do.
I also did a smaller version of her bouquet for her sister, the Maid of Honor.
She also asked if I would be able to make two garters for her. One to keep and then another for the garter toss.

I was happy with the results of everything but of course I will still be nervous until I hear what she thinks. I emailed her pictures early this afternoon but haven't heard back from her yet. I am saying a little prayer that she will love them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since it was a rainy day, I also got a couple table runners completed today to put in my Etsy shop.

I am really pleased with how they turned out. Tomorrow I plan on washing them and get them ready to post.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am hoping to work on some more projects tomorrow. I am participating in the 'Spring Thyme' swap and the 'Happiness Exchange' over at the Prim Pal forum this month. I have so many ideas for what I want to do... I just have to get busy and do them.

Yesterday I also received my first package of quilt blocks from Jennifer of Stitchin' Thyme. She is one of the twenty ladies participating in the 'Signature Block Challenge'. The rest are due to be sent out by the 15th of March. Once the blocks are all distributed, we will be working on creating something out of them. I am so excited to see what everyone comes up with.

Well, its been a busy day so I am going to close for now and head to bed. I hope you all are having a wonderful weekend.

*hugs*
Debbie

10 comments:

  1. Hey, maybe you found your second calling, to do wedding flowers, etc. you did a great job, I'm sure she will love them. Also, like the runners, you have been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they look breathtaking deb!great job,perhaps a second calling.lol.Ive been staedy workin on something for my happiness swap partner as well.hehe.have a great remainder of the weekend,gotta get back to my......guess youll have to wait and see.lol.blessings and hugs michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to giggle at the camo theme for a wedding.Sounds like something my family would do.LoL..You did a good job with it,hope she loves it.Warm Blessings!~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debbie, great job on all the bouquets!! No one would know you weren't a professional florist.8-)
    Have a great day!!
    Blessings,
    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie, those bouquets are GORGEOUS!!!!! I love the bride's bouquet, you did a wonderful job!!! So your niece is planning one of those last minute notice weddings too, LOL, must be the "in" thing:) Well you can reassure her that I for one KNOW it can be done;) Hope you are enjoying the weekend, I was so excited to find out my son is going to Hawaii and now the "deployment' fear has creeped in, I just wish I could wake up tomorrow and his 4 yrs. in the Army would be done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb they truned out great...cant wait to hear what she thinks of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your flower arrangements!! My mother is very talented in that area too...me...not so much! I can really appreciate the talent it takes to make those!! I just know your neice will love all your hard work!!!

    God bless ya!!
    Tonia

    ReplyDelete
  8. That bouquet is fabulous!! You did a wonderful job! I think you can add another talent to your long list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you sure have been busy, fantastic job on the flowers , I too am a trained cake decorator and floral designer and you did wonderful I am sure she will be pleased. Wishing you a great week. Hugs
    lil raggedy angie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the flowers! Great job, Debbie - your niece sure is lucky to have such a generous and talented Aunt.
    Hugs,
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete