Saturday, December 11, 2010

Christmas Vacation...



and I don't mean like 'National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation' either.

Yesterday I had to take Wendell to visit with a hand surgeon per his neurologist's recommendation. He has had a problem with his right hand. The last two fingers are pulling down and causing him a lot of discomfort. He cannot flatten his hand out at all.
Well, the surgeon took one look and told us he has what is called 'dupuytren's contractures' in both of his hands however the right is a lot worse than the left. We had never heard of it before but it affects the connective tissue under the skin of your palm. Knots of tissue form under the skin — eventually forming a thick cord that can pull one or more of your fingers into a bent position. If we let it go, it will just continue to get worse for him.

So.... since he is going to be off a month for Christmas Vacation from school we have scheduled his surgery for the 4th of January. He is not a happy camper at all and being the typical male patient, I am pretty sure my time is going to be not so much fun either. I am thinking I may need to find a place to stay till its all over. *laughing*

Wish us luck! :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today has been pretty quiet. Our dryer broke a few weeks ago so I have been having to hang clothes up on the shower rod and a clothing rack. Such a pain and I hate to do towels that way so we went to the laundromat this morning. All was well until we were done and carrying the baskets out to the jeep. Wendell opened the back.... the glass went up and he opened the door, slid his basket in. I came out from the awning of the laundromat and ran to the back of the jeep only to run right into the glass. Smack dab on the forehead at full speed. Thank God I did not drop the basket of clean towels but I did cry.

I did not break the skin but now have a wonderful bump and headache. I must be really stressed too because I cried all the way home. I could not stop! I felt like a big baby but think things are just building up and this just had me letting loose. We got home and I curled up on the couch and started watching the Twilight movies. My own little 'pity' party.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How was every one's weekend? Hope you all are staying warm.

Take Care,
*hugs*

Debbie

7 comments:

  1. OH NO, I'm so sorry you got hurt Debbie ((((((BIG HUGS)))))))!!!!!!!! I know from experience some of those self inflicted injuries are the worst:( My shin is still slightly blue from when I walked into a planter full speed ahead back in June! I hope the surgery goes well and I'm sure you will make an excellent nurse;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie,
    I haven't written on your blog before (just found it), but I know sometimes things just hit us all a once and its hard to cope. Sending up some prayers for you that things will improve. Sending you positive thoughts and good vibes plus a (((((((((((((((hug))))))))))) for you. Its good that you got hubby in about his hands. At least they can correct it.

    Hugs,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie,
    So sorry to hear about Wendell's hand and will keep him in my prayers...and you too. Hope your head doesn't hurt too bad and that the bump goes away soon. It's ok that you cried...sometimes crying will help you feel better. I know it does for me.
    hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Debbie, bless your heart!! I have days like that sometimes when I am so stressed and so tired and then something just puts me over the edge!! And I always feel better after a good cry, I hope you did too.8-)
    I'll be praying for your husband and for you. And if you do need a place to stay just come on down to Texas!! I'll take good care of you.8-)
    Have a great day Debbie!!
    Hugs,
    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big Hugs Sis! Im glad it didnt cut you....and a good cry never hurt anything...let er go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can always come stay with me while Wendell is being cranky. His hand will feel tons better after it heals up from the surgery. You sure don't have to worry about running into any glass on my car. It's so covered in dust, you can't see through it. Oh, let me correct that, you can see through it where the kids wrote, 'WASH ME PLEASE'. They're lucky it's too cold to wash it, or that is how they would be spending their day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch! That didn't sound like fun at all. Glad that you weren't hurt worse. Praying for success for Wendell's surgery and sanity for you during his recovery!
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete