Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Great Opportunity



As I had mentioned in a previous post, I am looking for a part time job and I was beginning to get really discouraged because I was not finding anything in the papers or on all of those job sites. Well... on Wednesday I decided to talk to a friend who works in the office at the trade school where I received my culinary certificate. A lot of times people who have openings will contact them to see if they have any graduates who are interested in a position they may have. It just so happened that a lady from the local Girl Scout Council had been in looking for a cook for their summer camp program.


I was given the lady's phone number and we spoke on the phone. She told me that the job is for seven weeks and it would be as cook for the Girl Scout camp. The cook would be in charge of running the kitchen and preparing meals for 50 to 100 girls daily. Besides having to be 21 years of age, the person they hire would have to live on site. That kind of worried me with Wendell depending on me to give him daily injections so I told her I would have to talk to my husband and get back to her.


Wendell told me to go for it! Yes I would have to live on the camp site but I would have weekends off to come home (camp is around an hour or so away). He confirmed what I thought, that this would be a great opportunity and would look great on my resume so I called her back. We probably talked for 30 minutes or more and she even offered Wendell a job if he wanted one. Unfortunately, even though he would of loved it, we agreed that it would be difficult with a dog and two cats living at home with no one we trusted enough to come in daily to care for them.


We made arrangements for me to come into town on Thursday to meet with her at a job fair they were holding and fill out an application and background check consent form. We ended up talking for a good 90 minutes or more and I think it is 99% safe to say the job is mine. I should get the official word around June 1st. Say a little prayer for me, okay?


She gave us directions to go up to the camp today to visit and check everything out. The forecast is for rain but Wendell and I are taking a picnic lunch and going to check things out. I am also going to try to take my camera.


I was a girl scout up until my senior year of high school and loved it but never had the chance to go to camp so I am really looking forward to this. Of course I won't have access to the Internet but I will have access to the other facilities they offer such as a pool, horse stables, ropes course and a beautiful lake. I already have thoughts on how I will spend the time and hopefully you will enjoy it too but I won't say anything more until I know for 100% I have this job.


Cross your fingers and toes! *laughing*


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Are you ready for a few phrases today?


#1 - Questa bilancia e' esatta?


kwes-tah bee-lahn-cee-ah ay ay-saht-tah


Is this scale right?


~~~~~~~~~~

#2 - Che hai detto?


kay eye dayt-toe


What did you say?


~~~~~~~~~~

#3 - Credi in te stesso


cray-dee een tay stays-soh


Believe in yourself.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We did get part of the garden in yesterday since it was the first day that was 'sorta' dry. We planted potatoes, tomatoes and green peppers. Sasha even helped in her own little way. She loves being with us when we are outdoors and she would lay down in the dirt about a row from where we were working and dig! It was so funny. We would move, she would move, lay down and dig another little hole. Of course it is suppose to rain all weekend so I don't know if we will be able to get the rest planted till Monday when its suppose to be dry. I can hardly wait for fresh veggies.


Speaking of fresh veggies.... does anyone else have an asparagus patch? We have not gotten any usable asparagus this year at all. I don't know if its because of the crazy weather or not. Lots of little, spindly sprouts but nothing big enough to eat,. Its been very disappointing.


Well I am off to take a shower and prepare a picnic lunch. I hope you all have a good weekend and hopefully dry one.


Take Care,

Debbie


8 comments:

  1. OH my gosh Debbie...that sounds PERFECT for you!!! I will be keeping my fingers crossed and say a prayer too, I hope all goes well and it sounds like a *fun* job!!!! Sasha sounds like a wonderful garden helper, Kiah doesn't go in ours as she doesn't like to get dirty, LOL!!!! Enjoy the weekend my friend ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a fun job! Not your regular 9 to 5. I hope it all comes together for you.
    denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie....Wouldn't it be great if you got that job? Just think...you would be a Girl Scout all over again! I'm sure it would be 'work' but I think you would enjoy it, too. I hope things work out for you. Yes...saying prayers for you and Wendell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have my fingers and toes crossed that you get the job. I was a girl scout for a while when I was little...never went to their camp, but went to church every summer and loved it.
    Have a great weekend.
    ~Cindy~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Debbie! I hope this all works out for you and Wendell! Can't wait to see pictures of he camp!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very happy for you Debbie. Everyone will be rooting for ya to get that job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well good for you girl! That would be awesome! Glad to hear your good news!

    ReplyDelete