Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Flowers Are In Bloom and the Buns are Warm and Toasty!


I hope where ever you are its sunny and warm because here its cloudy and gray and looks to be that way for the rest of the week. I am beginning to think I will never get my garden finished.


Since I have not been able to work outside, I have been working on the flowers inside.



I was so happy with how the sunflowers turned out that I decided to try a little different style and do them in a few different colors. They turned out so cute!



I am going to try and post them on my selling blog at Goat Creek Mercantile. With a little luck, I am hoping to get a few more items done up in the next week or so too.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday Wendell decided he wanted some hamburgers for supper but I didn't have any bread in the house and could not afford to run into town just for bread so I decided to make some from scratch. I had come across a recipe a month or so ago on a fellow blogger's site and let me just say I am happy I held on to the recipe because they turned out great!



~ Hamburger Buns ~



Ingredients Needed:


2 cups - Warm Water
5 Tbsp - Sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp - Yeast
1 1/2 tsp - Salt
1/4 cup - Vegetable Oil
5 - 6 cups - Flour
1 - Egg White, beaten
1 Tbsp - Water
Sesame Seeds or Dried Onion Flakes


Combine the water, sugar and yeast together in a bowl, mixing it well, then let it sit for about 10 minutes until foamy.


Add in the flour (*do so a 1/2 cup at a time) until you get a nice dough consistency that does not stick to the sides of the bowl. Knead for 10 minutes. Oil the bowl and dough, cover and let the dough rise until it is doubled in size.


Punch down the dough and knead the air bubbles out. Divide into 12 pieces for hamburgers or 18 pieces for hot dogs**. Roll between your hands into the correct shapes and place on a greased cookie sheet.


Carefully brush with mixture of egg white and water, then sprinkle with sesame seeds or onion flakes.


Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes or until they are nicely browned. Let cool for 5 minutes and then break apart and move to a cooling rack to prevent the bottoms from getting soggy.


Enjoy!


Helpful Hints: *I broke the recipe down to half and still ended up with almost an entire cup of flour that I did not use.
** When making the hot dog buns, squish them together on the cooking sheet so they rise up and not out.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Are you ready for a couple Italian phrases of the day?


#1 - Hai bisogno di un passaggio?


eye bee-sohn-yo dee oon pahs-sah-joe


Do you need a ride?


~~~~~~~~~~

#2 - Questa bilancia e' esatta?


kwes-tah bee-haln-cee-ah ay ay-saht-tah


Is this scale right?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you are having a wonderful day and I look forward to visiting all your blogs soon to catch up on my reading!


Take Care,

Debbie

7 comments:

  1. UGH-the weather is crappy here too! VERY COLD and wet! Highs in the 40's whats up with that? and in the 20's at nigt...not good at all for the gardens :(

    LOVE your flowers!! ...and the homemade burger buns look so yummy!
    Have a great week, Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie~ those flowers are some of the nicest I have seen, love them! Your buns are wonderful, YES DEBBIE.....I'm tellin' ya you have nice buns, LOL!!!!!!!! I always keep a few loaves of frozen bread dough in the freezer for emergencies:) Have you tried your hand at the soap making yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those flowers are so pretty! I like the different styles and colors that you used.

    The buns look tasty! Yum!

    It is going to be rainy here all week also. I'm like you, I was hoping to work outside. I just need another couple of days to finish. But I guess it'll have to wait till next week. Oh well, I really need to get to work on a giveaway so maybe it's gonna work out for the best.

    Have a wonderful week~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Yum! That bread looks so good. I can smell it all the way over here in VA.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. What does "together in a boil" mean? I've never heard that used in a recipe before?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the sunflowers that you made!! Very Cute!!
    And those rolls look yummy!!
    ~Cindy~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your new flowers and the new colors are great! Good for you for doing a bit of experimenting!

    I alos love what you did with the other flour! The buns look great ~ you are a talented gal!!

    ReplyDelete