Sunday, October 25, 2009

Ghost Hunting Time of Year...

As Halloween approaches I am finding myself wanting to go walking through the old cemeteries looking at the old tombstones and wondering about the people who are in them. I have not done that in a while so last week Wendell and I decided to do a little exploring.

Our search took us to the Old Lorimier Cemetery. It was the first cemetery in Cape Girardeau, Missouri.

One of the things that make this cemetery special is the way it overlooks the Mississippi river.


I don't know why I find them so fascinating but there is just something so calming about a cemetery. The big tomb in the center is where you will find the grave markers of Major Lorimier and his wife.


I tried to get a good picture of his tombstone but hard to do when it was so big and laying flat. I find it so interesting how some of the stones tell a story.


Many of the stones are from the late 1700's to early 1800's. It just blows my mind to think the person there had fought in the revolutionary war.


And then there are those who were in the Civil war. I thought it a little strange how some never had any dates on them.


And then there are the stones that are so much more elaborate than most.


I always say I would of loved to have lived in those times but when you see the ages on some of those stones, maybe technology is not so bad. It was so sad to see how many died between the ages of 25 to 45... and then all of the young children... just so sad.

Wendell also decided to take a drive to Perryville to visit his parent's graves. When walking along I found this stone that I thought was kind of nice because of the way it told his story.


Its amazing how much stones have changed over the years. Wendell loved the picture etched on this one.

Well that is it for our day of ghost hunting. We didn't spot anything but did have an enjoyable outing. Maybe next time we will meet up with a few 'resident's'.

Take Care,

Debbie

5 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie...I love cemeteries! I have been going to cemeteries since I was a young girl going with my Grandma. Grandpa always said - "It's not the dead that you need to be scared of...it's the living!" I'm glad you had an enjoyable ride.

    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun! Its neat to look at old graves and see the names, some of them are really unusual by todays' standards:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we were in Boston we walked around the cemetery where Paul Revere is buried and I had such a neat time reading the headstones and yes, they died to young in those days:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE old cemeteries and can spend hours walking around looking at the graves. Its funny but out of all the places I have been "ghost hunting" and all the cemeteries I have been in, only once did something "strange" happen. zMy grandson had just turned 2 and he told us he saw a man in the cemetery we did not see...

    Anyway I am glad you enjoyed your day

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the last headstone with the man fishing. I can see my father not leaving the Jordan river because he would just want his mansion there so he could fish.

    ReplyDelete