Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Watcha' Reading Wednesday?

It has been my intention to try and post a new book each week if possible but last week I was a real slacker. I read the book, just didn't post on it so today I have two book for you.

The first one is 'the five people you meet in heaven' by Mitch Albom. All I can say about this book is WOW! It was so good that I didn't want to put it down. It only has 196 pages but it moves so fast. I knew I had to read it when I read the inside cover and it moved me to tears.

Here it is: "Eddie is a grizzled war veteran who feels trapped in the toil of his father before him, fixing rides at a seaside amusement park. As the park has changed over the years - from the Loop-the-Loop to the Pipeline Plunge - so, too, has Eddie changed, from optimistic youth to embittered old age. His days are a dull routine of work, loneliness, and regret.

Then, on his 83rd birthday, Eddie dies in a tragic accident, trying to save a little girl from a falling cart. With his final breath, he feels two small hands in his - then nothing. He awakens in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a lush Garden of Eden, but a place where your earthly life is explained to you by five people who were in it. These people may have been loved ones or distant strangers. Yet each of them changed your path forever.

One by one, Eddie's five people illuminate the unseen connections of his early life. As the story builds to its stunning conclusion, Eddie desperately seeks redemption in the still-unknown last act of his life: Was it a heroic success or a devastating failure? The answer, which comes from the most unlikely sources, is as magical and inspirational as a glimpse of heaven itself".

I had enjoyed this one so much my husband has taken it to read. I had heard that this book had been made into a movie but I don't know if its on dvd or not. I definitely will be checking it out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next book is called 'The Birthing House' by Christopher Ransom. This one is on the lines of supernatural thriller and psychological suspense. When I read the cover I knew I would have to read it.


The inside cover reads as: 'Conrad and Joanna Harrison, a young couple from Los Angeles, attempt to save their marriage by leaving the pressures of the city to start anew in a quiet, rural setting. They buy a Victorian mansion that once served as a haven for unwed mothers, called a birthing house. One day when Joanna is away, the previous owner visits Conrad to bequeath a vital piece of the house's historic heritage, a photo album that he claims "belongs to the house." Thumbing through the old, sepia-colored photographs of midwives and fearful, unhappily pregnant girls in their starched, nineteenth-century dresses, Conrad is suddenly chilled to the bone: Staring back at him with a countenance of hatred and rage is the image of his own wife...

Thus begins a story of possession, sexual obsession, and ultimately, murder, as a centuries-old crime is reenacted in the present, turning Conrad and Joanna's American dream into a relentless nightmare.'

The book was definitely a page turner. It wasn't one of my favorites but definitely a good read. I'll let you decide on what you think.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of my projects I have been trying to do is type up all of my favorite recipes that have been accumulated from family and friends into a cookbook. Right now my 3-inch binder is stuffed. I have two small notebooks filled with more recipes that I want to put into it yet.


I have had several friends and family members request copies but I haven't come up with a 'cheap' way of doing that for them. There are companies out there that will print your cookbook for you but its too expensive for me. Does anyone out there have any ideas?

For the past few years I have printed out recipes for my sons and stepdaughter so they can add to the binder we gave them 3 years ago. The love getting their recipe installments each year at Christmas. It makes the best gift.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading every ones blogs the past few weeks and seeing all the wonderful pictures of their fall decorating. You have gotten me in the mood to decorate this place so now I have to clean and see what I can do. So far I have bought a small pumpkin for Jaygen and a decoration for outside. Tomorrow I will share my story on that but until then keep blogging and take care!

Debbie


3 comments:

  1. I've read that Mitch Albon book, very good! he has another one I want to read too, I think it's called " One last day"?? The one about the birthing house sounds good too, I like scary ones this time of year:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the Five People You Meet in Heaven and yes, it was very good! Loved it!

    The Birthing Room I don't know if I want to read that. LOL

    Keep posting about books I love to read!
    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go to Staples and see what they will do it for. They will also spiral bind as well as print(both front and back pages) pretty reasonable(depending on how many pages).

    ReplyDelete