Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A New Recipe and Life on the Farm...

Last week I tried a new recipe out on Wendell. I have actually had this one for quite a while but had yet to make it for him in the nine years we have been married. Its called 'Mexican Chicken Casserole. I like it but it wasn't one of his favorites. That's ok because not everyone will like everything, right? Here is the recipe for some of you who may like to try it. Its really not that bad. :)

Mexican Chicken Casserole


<p>Ingredients:


1 pkg. - Hard Taco Shells
1 Jar - Your Favorite Salsa
4 - Chicken Breast, cooked/chopped
1 - Avocado, diced
1 pkg. - Shredded Cheddar Cheese (8 oz)
8 - Eggs
1 cup - Milk


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Combine the chicken and salsa together in a skillet and warm on medium heat.

Using a 2 quart casserole dish, break the taco shells and layer in the bottom. Spread half of the chicken mixture on top of the shells, then half of the cheese, then half of the avocado. Repeat.

Next, whisk together the eggs and milk. Pour over the casserole.

Place the casserole dish in a larger pan and add water into the larger pan to help prevent scorching.

Place into the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the eggs have set.

Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

Hope you enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From reading about most of my fellow bloggers gardens it seems that this definitely hasn't been a good year. Wendell and I had tried to put one out but never even got to enjoy any of it. I have a few cucumber vines in a basket on my front porch that is (and has been) loaded with tons of little yellow flowers but no cucumbers have grown. I don't know what the deal is.

The only thing that seems to be doing anything is the couple watermelon vines Wendell planted. It looks like we may actually have something to harvest from the garden.


Its growing so big and pretty. I'm not sure what the name of it is but its one of those melons that produce yellow fruit. My brain is already telling me that something will be wrong with it but I have had a lot of people assure me that the yellow ones are great. We will see....

We have to hills growing with long vines but one hill only has produced this one melon and the other has two smaller melons growing about half its size. Again... lots of blooms but no fruit. Any ideas out there????

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just had to share this picture of our resident squirrel. We call him 'Gary'. Wendell has stuck this feeder on a tree outside our bedroom window. We usually see Gary the first thing in the morning and then later in the evening. Looks to be pretty protective of that corn cob, huh? *lol*


Well, I suppose I should go and get started on the homework I have waiting here. I also have to make potato soup for supper tonight. I was suppose to make it yesterday but my potatoes had gone bad. Nothing worse than having your mind set for something only to have to wait another day for it. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Take care and I hope you all have a great Wednesday!

Debbie


6 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie,

    I like the sounds of that recipe! I love anything with a Mexican flavor!

    Colt sure would have loved for us to have grown some watermelons....his favorite!

    And that sure is a cute little squirrel you have there! He looks quite comfortable...making himself at home! :)

    Have a great evening! :)
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Gary is very cute!! I think one of the stray cats here got my squirrel....havent seen him in awhile! That watermelon looks good! Too bad the cucumbers wouldnt have grown too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, Debbie...good to hear from you. I think I'll have to try that Mexican dish....my son-in-law would love it.

    Don't know too much about the watermelon. It has been a strange year for gardens. We planted seedless tomatoes this year and have so many that I have been freezing them. The peppers were awful.

    Say hello to "Gary" for me.

    Friends,
    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that looks SO good! I was browsing through your recipes and low and behold...I found cream Horns, OH GLORY! I have wanted a recipe for these forever, thank you so much for sharing it! I will be following your blog now to see what else yummy comes up:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debbie!
    I catch your blog every so often, and really enjoy it. Well, a week from tomorrow our big U-Haul will put into the driveway, and we will be off on our out-of-state move. I can't help but think of you and Wendell when I think of U-Hauls! So anyway, I have another week of being a Missouri citizen, and then.......
    Take care of yourself; glucosamine is great stuff. Just ask my legs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Miss Debbie~ I'm finally back from my summer blogcation.
    You're Mexican Casserole looked delicious.
    You'll have to let us know how your watermelon turns out. I have a mini watermelon in my fridge just about every week during the season. That cool, crispy, juicy, flavor is the best summer treat!

    My hubs majored in Ag-econ and landed in the health-care industry, go figure....
    Congratulations to Wendell for accepting the challenge...including the Algebra.

    I've enjoyed catching up. Please stop by...I look forward to the return of your company.
    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete