Friday, June 19, 2009

Stuffed Round Roast

Surprise! Two recipes in one day. I was looking throught the freezer when I found this eye of round roast. What to do... what to do... We both wanted something a little different so I decided that I would stuff it. I wasn't sure what I would use so I played it by ear.

INGREDIENTS:


2 - 3 lbs - Eye of Round Roast
1 box - Zatarrans Long Grain & Wild Rice Mix
1 box - Frozen Spinach, thawed and drained
8 oz. - White Mushrooms
1/4 Cup - Green Onions, minced
Salt
Pepper

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

First I prepared the box of rice per the directions on the package. Then while it was cooking, I took the roast and cut it down an inch until I had cut it like a spiral. (If you don't quite understand what I'm trying to save, please email me and I'll try to explain it better.)

Next I put the roast between two pieces of plastic wrap and tenderized it with a meat tenderizing hammer. I tenderized until it was about 1/2 inch thick.

I minced my green onions and sliced/minced all the white mushrooms except for about 6 of them which I had just sliced and reserved for later.

When the rice was almost finished I added all the green onion and mushrooms that were minced. Once the rice was complete, I added the thawed/drained spinach and combined thoroughly.

Next I sprinkled with salt and pepper, then took at least half of the rice mixture and spread over the roast. Wrap it as tightly as possible, trying not to lose any of the stuffing inside. Tie it closed with butchers twine or you can use toothpicks.

Place it on a roasting rack and place in the oven at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. This will give you a medium-rare roast.

While the roast was cooking, I took the remaining mushrooms and mixed them with the rest of the rice mixture to serve as a side dish. I removed from the stove and reheated it after the roast was finished.


I honestly have to say that we loved this! It was an experiment that worked for the best. Beating the roast with the tenderizing hammer made the meat very tender. I encourage your to give it a try. We loved it!

Stay cool,

Debbie

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow that looks great. I will have to try it. Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look out Home Food Network! That looks really good. I like how you spiraled the stuffing, attractive and flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks good, thanks for the meal idea!

    ReplyDelete