Saturday, June 13, 2009

Pound Cake Recipe.... Almost Like Grandma's...

This week I started thinking about when I was a kid, and how I would hop over the fence to grandma's house for a visit. She would always have a pound cake there for us kids to enjoy. I loved her pound cake. Unfortunately I don't have her recipe. Funny how we take some things like family recipes for granted.


Well since I was seriously craving it, I decided to try a recipe I had found while I was in school.

It turned out pretty good and tasted almost like I remember grandma's tasting. The only thing I would of done different was taken it out about five minutes earlier.


POUND CAKE

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cup - Butter

2 3/4 cup - Sugar
5 - Eggs
1 tsp - Vanilla Extract
3 cups - All-Purpose Flour*
1 tsp - Baking Powder
1/4 tsp - Salt
1 cup - Evaporated Milk

Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a tube pan, 10 x 4 inches, or a 12 cup bundt pan.

Beat together the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large mixer bowl on low speed, scraping bowl constantly, for 30 seconds.

Beat on high speed, scraping bowl occassionally, 5 minutes. Beat in flour, baking powder and salt alternately with milk on low speed. Pour into pan.

Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. About 70 to 80 minutes. Cool in pan for about 20 minutes then remove from pan.

*Do not use self-rising flour in this recipe.

It turned out really good, especially with the blueberrie sauce I made to go on top. I used frozen blueberries. I let them thaw and then took the sauce and a third of the berries and puree'd them. Then I took about 1 cup of sugar with a table spoon of cornstarch, combined them with the puree on the stove top and cooked until it thickened slightly. At the end, I added the rest of the berries then pulled it off the stove to cool slightly. I then put into a container and refrigerated until I was ready to serve dessert.

It turned out to be a great dessert.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This past week I have been in the mood to read but didn't have anything here at the house except for a few books I had already read. Wendell and I went to the local library and wanted to apply for a library card but they wanted to charge us $15.00 for the ability to borrow books for 3 months! Needless to say I didn't sign up. That's redicilous! I have never heard of having to pay for the ability to use a library.

I ended up going home and re-reading 'Twilight' again. Its been over a year and it was kinda nice to read again. That was Tuesday.... today I am almost done reading the third book in the series.

Well I was talking to a friend about my library experience and she told me about a store called 'The Book Rack'. Its filled with used books of all kinds. I found a few books that I had been wanting to read for $4.00 each. A lot cheaper than the $7.99 price tag for new copies. The best part is if I want, I can take them back and get $2.00 credit for each one to use on the purchase of different books.

I love reading and find it hard to part with a good series. Now I have a place where I can find some good ones that are in pretty good shape and a lot easier on my pocket book.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I better get moving. Wendell is wanting to run into town to get new blades for the lawnmower and I need to clean out and refill the hummingbird feeders. We filled them all up last Saturday afternoon and right now, all six are all almost empty! Hungry little buggers, huh?

Take care and enjoy your weekend!

Debbie



5 comments:

  1. Those are my books!!! I finished the first two at your place and I am on the last one now....easy reading and nothing like a good cowboy story before bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, we're constantly refilling those feeders - those little guys can put away some food, can't they? I could send you some books to read but you probably wouldn't find them all that interesting... they're all about anesthesia and they're all I read (other than my blogs - love my bloggy friends!) anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debbie....That cake looks delicious! I may try that sometime soon.
    I haven't heard of a library charging $15.00. Maybe they do now.... doesn't really seems right.
    How are those hummingbirds doing? You must have a ton of them by now...?? They are beautiful!
    Have a nice Sat. pm and Sunday.

    Friends,
    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cake looks so yummy. I may have to try that recipe my hubby loves a good pound cake.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debbie,
    Your pound cake looks so yummy, but I'm trying to take off a few pounds...so I guess I'll just drool over the picture. LOL...
    I didn't know any libraries charged for a card...around here they are free. I love to read also, but have been so busy doing other things that I haven't read one in a while.
    Hope you are having a great weekend.
    hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete