Thursday, June 25, 2009

Pepperoni & Mushroom Calzones...


Tonight for supper I decided to try something new. At least for us it was new. I had a stick of pepperoni from Aldi's in the freezer and a ball of fresh mozzarella on hand so I dug through my recipes to see what I could do with it. The winner is..... Calzones!

I didn't have a specific recipe for the dough but I did have a good pizza crust recipe that I decided to use. I don't always have the best luck when it comes to using yeast and making any kind of bread but today was a good day. It turned out fantastic! Wendell's only complaint was I didn't have any sausage.

Pepperoni and Mushroom Calzones

<p>PIZZA DOUGH

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 Tbsp - Dry Active Yeast

1 1/2 Cups - Warm Water (110 degree F)

2 Tbsp - White Sugar

1 tsp - Salt
1 tsp - Garlic Powder
3 Tbsp - Olive Oil
4 Cups - All-purpose Flour*

In a large bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the warm water, then add the 2 tablespoons of sugar and mix thoroughly. Allow this to set until it begins to 'foam'. (About 5 to 10 minutes).

Stir in the salt, oil and half of the flour. Gradually add the remaining flour, mixing well.

Knead dough for 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl and let rise until doubled in size. (About 1/2 to 1 hour)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Next step was to take the dough and divide into four parts. Punch down the dough into a circle. Add a layer of sauce. Next, on one half side of the dough, add a layer of Pepperoni, mozzarella, mushrooms, another layer of pepperoni and more mozzarella.

Fold dough over and seal shut. Place on a greased cookie sheet and brush the calzone with an egg wash. Bake until the dough turns a golden brown. (About 30 minutes depending on your oven)

Special Hints: For the flour, I used 2 cups of all-purpose flour and 2 cups of bread flour.

Egg wash - Put one egg with 1 teaspoon of water in a small cup and beat well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<p>Wendell really liked the way the crust turned out and suggested I try to make rolls out of this dough too. It was so nice and soft, not heavy.

I hope you all have a great Friday. There isn't too much planned here except that I want to try and finish up a few projects I started today. Its so hot outside, I just stayed in and painted again.

Take Care and try to stay cool,

Debbie

5 comments:

  1. Now I'm hungry! Looks yummy! I have today off work! I need to get moving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop by my blog when you have a chance. I've given you something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need a cook... come visit! Oh and Aidan picked the tie... Mariah told him pink to match her dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband loves calzones -thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum - that looks fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete