Friday, June 12, 2009

My Herb Garden and My Kitchen Gathering...

Good morning! Compared to yesterday, it is beautiful and 70 degrees here today. It was awfully warm yesterday but at least it did not rain. I have to really work on finding the window screens so we can open more windows. Our house has the old storm windows that you have to take down and replace with screens in the summer. I guess I shouldn't complain though because last months electric bill was only $61.00. A big difference from what we use to pay at the other place. Maybe having no air conditioning will be a big money saver for us.

I wanted to share a couple pictures of my 'herb garden'. Its not much but hopefully next year I will be able to have more. I planted them in coconut baskets on the front porch. I figured I would be able to devote more time to them that way.

In my first basket, I planted sage and cilantro. I LOVE cilantro and have hopes to use it in some homemade salsa this summer once the tomatoes come in. Does anyone have a nice recipe for salsa that isn't too spicy that they don't mind sharing?

No italian girl's herb garden would be complete without basil and oregano, right?

If I can, I want to get a few more pots out on the porch and plant some rosemary, thyme and chives too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As most of you know I am trying hard to decorate around here. I was unpacking a few boxes yesterday and found a few more items that I hope to be able to incorporate one way or another.

This is the kerosene lamp I inherited from my grandma. I've been carting this around for at least 25 years or so now. Its come in handy on those nights when the power has gone out. I wish I had a few more. I think I would actually use them more if I did but Wendell probably wouldn't like it to much. He's one of those guys that like to turn on every light in the house on.

Here's a jug that I bought about 20 years ago in Prairie du Rocher, Illinois. Prairie du Rocher is the site of Fort de Chartres, a french fort that was built in 1720. Each year in June they hold their annual rendezvous. Its really something to see. There are people from all around that basically camp out for a week and re-enact how life was back then. Its amazing to see them all dressed in authentic garb. There are the traders and even indians. I never forget how much I blushed the first time I actually saw my first indian brave, complete with loincloth! Anyway, I purchased this jug at the rendezvous several years ago.

I also came across these heart-shaped nesting bowls that I bought at the 'Jour de Fete' in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri. Its one of the biggest craft shows they have around this area, each year in August.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wanted to share the gathering I have been working on. Remember when I asked for suggestions? Well Lee Ann at Pear Tree Cottage stepped up and offered some suggestions. Here is what 'we've' comed up with so far. I definately need to make more finds to complete it. Thank you Lee Ann! I truly appreciate your suggestions.

I hope you all have a great Friday. Hopefully it will be a wonderful start to a fantastic weekend!

Take Care,

Debbie

5 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie!
    I really like the new arrangement ~ you and Lee Ann work well together. Do you have any kind of large plate or platter ~ I think a round or oval shape would be a nice addition. You showed some neat itmes in your "products from the past" post. Would any of them work on top of your cabinets? How about some of the crates and bottles you found ~ can you work those in anywhere.

    I have three kerosene lamps and I've displayed them on top of my dining room hutch.
    Just tossing out some ideas! : )

    Have an extra-special day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there....Your herbs look so wonderful and healthy. You'll be amazed how much you will use them! Especially since they are right there at your house!

    I have several oil lamps. They come in handy when the power is off.

    Sounds like you are having lots of fun with all of your decorating. It's fun, isn't it?

    Friends,
    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your herbs and your kitchenware! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you do ok without ac. That's a luxury we have tp have due to Ray's health history. Debbie I think about you often and I so admire you for making the best out of your situation. I hope one day I can be more like you. Thanks for all of your sweet comments.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lamp is so much like one of my grandfathers that I have! I love it and come to think of it I dont have it on display either! The little pitcher looks similar to some I saw on Behind my red door blog.....salt glazed??? maybe not but it reminded me of what I saw there! I have a salsa recipe...but you know me...its spicy hot!!!

    ReplyDelete