Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Cucumbers, Beans and Herbs....

I am so surprised at how fast the beans and cucumbers have taken off. I just planted them last week and look at them! I guess the humidity is a good thing.

Here is the coconut basket with the pole beans in them. It was only a few days before I noticed they had started sprouting.


This is the basket with my armenien (mispelled) cucumbers in it. They are a little slower but they are growing! I'm so excited.


We love cilantro, so when I planted the plant from the garden shop I sprinkled in some seeds also. they are coming up too! I am hoping that I can get a couple more pots with chives, thyme and rosemary growing too.

Yesterday Wendell went to the bookstore and came back with this on for me. Its 'The Backyard Homestead'. Its shows you how to grow your own food on a quarter of an acre and less. It has all kinds of interesting information that I hope to be able to share. Its published by Storey. I think I have the greatest guy. He's always thinking about me. :)


According to the weatherman we are in for the warmest day of the year today. Sun is shining and its starting to get really humid. I am really going to miss our pool. Maybe we will be able to come up with one once Wendell's back-pay from social security gets here. Without air condition it would help a lot and be an inexpensive form of entertainment for us. We'll have to see...

I am off to start cleaning house and working out in the garden. I hope you all have a great Wednesday! Take care,

Debbie


11 comments:

  1. The plants are looking pretty good! I'm right with ya on the no AC, storm ripped our cheapie pool to shreds late last fall. I'm sure going to miss it. Housework never ends, I spent 2 house this morning on mine and you can't even tell :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a very interesting book and your garden is fantastic!

    It's really hot here too and really really humid, but at least it's not storming!

    Hope you have a great day, Debbie!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks so fresh and green! Glad things are going well for you both!
    Rondell
    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the air conditioning not working? Or you are just trying not to use it?? I love cilantro too and I add it to everything I can!! Oh btw....I just used plain ole white glue on the light and then olled in cinnamon...it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cilantro, too. :) It's growing (slowly) in my herb garden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The little ac unit kinda works. Wendell turned it on and it keeps saying check filter. He has and can't figure why the light is going off. He use to work on those things so I hope he knows what he's doing. The heat index is 105 according to the news. He got veggie pizza for supper. Didn't want to heat up the kitchen anymore than I had too.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're going to have a wonderful garden! I love cilantro too! And that backyard homestead books sounds like a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum Yum fresh veggies. Good luck with your garden.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Debbie,
    Heat index...105? Well, that is way too hot!

    Your plants look so healthy. You are doing a great job.

    I have heard of your new book. It will be interesting if you share. Good idea.

    Friends,
    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Debbie!

    I have been MIA, I hope you and Holli had a wonderful visit!
    Your garden plants look great! I so miss my veggie garden...I am so far behind, I haven't gotten it in, it's getting too late now I'm afraid :(

    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs-Kath

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi debbie!!

    how are you? i haven't been around much, life got pretty crazy. I hope all is well!! your garden looks great!

    Brandi

    ReplyDelete