Thursday, June 4, 2009

Stuffed Manicotti aka Lasagna Rolls

Yesterday while I was at school pre-registering for fall classes, Wendell was at home watching 'Everyday Italian' with Giada De Laurentis. I no sooner walked in the door and he was talking about a dish she prepared. Lucky for him I had almost everything I needed for it. So after a quick run into town, I made stuffed manicotti using her Lasagna Roll recipe.

I used manicotti noodles only because that is what I had on hand but the recipe is for lasagna noodles.


INGREDIENTS


Bechamel Sauce:


2 Tbsp - Unsalted Butter
4 tsp - All-Purpose Flour
1 1/4 cup - Whole Milk
1/4 tsp - Salt
1/8 tsp - Ground Black Pepper
Pinch of Nutmeg


Lasagna:


1 (15 ounce) - Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
1 (10 ounce) pkg - Frozen, Chopped Spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp - Grated Parmesan
3 ounces - Procsciutto, thinly sliced and chopped
1 large - Egg, beaten to blend
3/4 tsp - Salt, plus more for salting the water
1/2 tsp - Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 to 2 Tbsp - Olive Oil
12 - Uncooked Lasagna Noodles
2 cup - Marinara Sauce
1 cup - Shredded Mozzarella (about 4 oz)


DIRECTIONS:


1. To make the sauce: Melt the butter in a heavy medium sized saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the flour and whisk for 3 minutes. Whisk in the milk. Increase the heat to medium-high. Whisk the sauce until it comes to a simmer and is thick and smooth, about 3 minutes. Whisk in the salt, pepper and nutmeg.

2. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

3. Whisk the ricotta, spinach, 1 cup Parmesan, prosciutto, egg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl to blend.

4. Add a tablespoon or 2 of olive oil to a large pot of boiling, salted water. Boil the noodles until just tender vbut still firm to bite. Drain. Arrange the noodles in a single layer on a baking sheet to prevent them from sticking.

5. Butter a 13 x 9 x 2 inch glass baking dish. Pour the bechamel sauce over the bottom of the prepared dish. Lay out 4 lasagna noodles on a work surface, then spread about 3 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture evenly over each noodle. Starting at one end, roll each noodle like a jelly roll. Lay the lasagna rolls, seam side down, without touching, on top of the bechamel sauce in the dish. Repeat with the remaining noodles and ricotta mixture.

6. Spoon 1 cup of marinara sauce over the lasagna rolls. Sprinkle the mozzarella and remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan over the lasagna rolls.

7. Cover tightly with foil. Bake until heated through and the sauce bubbles. About 20 minutes. Uncover and bake until the cheese on top becomes golden, about 15 minutes longer.

8. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the remaining marinara sauce to serve alongside.

Enjoy!


It was definately a keeper to my recipe file. Next time, I plan on using the lasagna noodles like the recipe calls for but in a pinch, the manicotti noodles worked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you remember the cute little sign Holli gave me? I found a home for it yesterday. I decided that I am going to try and have a prim diningroom so I hung it over the doorway between the diningroom and kitchen. Now I need to clear out the other junk out of there, clean the floor and work on that new table!


Not much really planned today. Allergies are really playing a number on my eyes. About five days ago they really started itching like crazy. I've never had that much trouble before but then there are a lot of different plants around here.

I hope you all have a great Thursday and manage to do something fun!

Take Care,

Debbie

6 comments:

  1. OMGosh, that is so weird!! My Mom saw this on Everyday Italian and fixed it just the other night as well. She was telling me about it and it sounded so yummy and now that I have seen pictures of it.... uh yeah, I think I wanna come for dinner! YUMMO. Thanks for the recipe.

    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look like a great cook. It is such a good idea for me to enjoy food as "eye candy". No calories then. xo Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a sign Lisa! *laughing* Its really, REALLY good. I have the fixin's for another batch.... come on over! :)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good - I'm going to have to try this!! You share so many good recipes - thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie,
    That Stuffed Manicotti/Lasagna looks yummy. I'm going to copy the recipe down...we are having some friends over for dinner soon and I think I will make this.
    Love the sign Holli gave you!!
    Have a great weekend.
    hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete