Sunday, May 3, 2009

Homemade Potato Soup and a Visit From Jaygen...

It was so cloudy and cold this morning that when we came home from church I decided to make some potato soup. It could not cook up fast enough. I found this recipe online at www.allrecipes.com . Its labeled as 'Outback Potato Soup'. Let me say that it was the best I have ever had. It was perfect for a cold, rainy day.

OUTBACK POTATO SOUP

Ingredients


8 - Potatoes
4 Cans - Chicken Broth
1 Small - Onion, diced
1 tsp. - Salt
1 tsp. - Fresh, course ground Black Pepper
3/4 Cup - All-Purpose Flour
2 Cups - Cold Water
1 1/2 Cups - Heavy Cream
1 Cup - Butter
1 1/2 Cups - Colby/Monterey Jack Cheese
1/4 Cup - Bacon Bits
1/4 - Green Onion, sliced


Makes 8 servings


1. Dice potatoes and boil. Save to add them in later.


2. In another pot, add broth, onions, salt, pepper and water. Let simmer for 20 minutes.


3. In a small pot, melt butter and then add the flour. Add to the broth mixture slowly.


4. Add the heavy cream slowly and stir until it thickens.


5. Simmer for another 20 minutes, then add the potatoes.


6. Garnish with the shredded cheese, bacon and green onions.

*** I fried more bacon than what was called for and put it in with the potatoes for extra flavor. Wendell's only complaint was that it didn't have enough bacon. There's a meateater for you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shortly after we ate supper I had a visit from my favorite fellow!


He and his daddy were all wound up. It warms my heart to see Jared with his son.


That smile just makes me want to squeeze him!


The last few visits, Jaygen hasn't been too fond of PawPaw but today he must of had a change of heart. They played together the entire time.

I hope you all had just as wonderful a time as we have here today. Take care,

Debbie

7 comments:

  1. MMMMM Now Im hungry!! I hope I get to see Jaygen when Im there!! He is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy. What a cutie and I love bubbles also. :)

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm! Hot and creamy potato soup, on a cold and rainy day!
    What could be better?! Oh yeah! Eating it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holli, I have already told the kids that they have to bring Jaygen over or let us 'monkey-nap' him one day while Aunt Holli is here. He is such a character! Only 16 days!!!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guess what we'll be having foe dinner?
    The bacon adds the best flavor. Maybe hot cheese biscuits to go with.
    Thanks for the the dinner tip.

    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. That potato soup looks marvelous! Oh my! It's 11 pm, and I'm almost tempted to go make it. Thanks for sharing, Debbie, and I hope you have a wonderful visit with Holli.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is sooooo yummy looking.
    Jaygen is a doll (but then you already know that)
    hope to catch you online one of these days.

    ReplyDelete