Sunday, May 10, 2009

Baking, Bargins and Birds...

Happy Mother's Day! Here in Missouri it looks like we are in for a very nice day. The sun is shining and the birds are singing! Yipee!!!! No rain in the forecast for today. I am hoping that maybe I will be able to get into the garden after church. Its been at least three weeks since we got our tomato plants in and while their growing so is the grass and weeds. Wendell really needs to get out there and till the space between the rows up.

Yesterday I had a cake order for an 'Over the Hill' birthday party. Of course I had to run into town and pick up a couple tubes of the Wilton's pre-made icing in a tube. Making black is so hard and I am never happy with the results when I try. While I was at Hobby Lobby I asked about Wilton's course 3 in cake decorating. (I have already taken the first two) Luckily they are offering the course in July and I went ahead and signed up for it. Wendell is going to take it with me too! (He took the first two with me) I think having all three courses will look good on my resume too.

Anyway, I got home and finished up the cake. Despite my shaky handwriting I guess it turned out ok. The customer was happy with it. She's given me a couple more orders for upcoming celebrations.


Friday, Fran and I got out of school early and decided to run over to the dollar store and see what we could find. I love cookbooks and was able to pick these two up for only $1 each! They both have some great recipes in them. I am always looking for ideas of gifts to put in jars so I was happy to find these bargin books. They had a lot of these when I went in and if anyone is interested in one, I would be more than happy to pick up a few extras for $1 each plus postage. Just email me at goat_creek_bakery@hotmail.com .

After the cleaning and baking were done for the day, I tried to enjoy a quiet afternoon on the front porch, reading a book. Apparently my presence wasn't appreciated because this little guy and three of his friends kept dive bombing me while they were fighting for the rights to the two feeders Wendell has on the porch. It was fun to watch and I was actually able to get a fairly decent picture of one of them after about 30 tries!


Another of our feathered friends and her mate were a busy trying to feed their nest of offspring. Its amazing to me how fast they could fly back with a bug to feed the young ones.


Wendell and I are really enjoying the new place and all of its wildlife. We've seen deer, turkey, a weasel, bunnies and squirrels pretty consistantly.... and the birds are everywhere. We've been here about six weeks now and we finally saw a robin. They were over-abundant at the old place but seem to be a little rare around here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are no real plans here for Mother's Day. Jared, Danielle and Jaygen came over last night for a visit so I doubt they come back today. They had some things to pick up in Cape Girardeau yesterday and decided to surprise us. Jaygen was in such a good mood, despite recovering from strep throat. Of course I was a bad grandma and was so busy playing with him that I didn't get a picture.

I hope you all enjoy your day and look forward to reading about what you have done.

Take care,

Debbie








4 comments:

  1. Hello - I just discovered your blog and find it very interesting to read, especially your recipes. I live in Coastal BC and love to experiment with cooking and enjoy nature. I invite you to come take a look at float cabin living on Powell Lake. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mothers Day! Love the cake and you could never be a bad grandma:)
    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debbie,
    Love the hummingbird picture!! I've been feeding hummingbirds for years and have never been able to a good picture. My SIL got me the prettiest feeder for my birthday from Walmart...it's green glass and looks like an old antique bottle. I loved it so much that I picked up another one as I have always put out 2 feeders.
    Hope you had a great day.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cake looks good. I love the pictures of the birds. We actually got my Mom a humming bird feeder for Mother's Day.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete