Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Another Lesson In Frugality...

Good Morning... It seems that everytime I begin to think that life is going well that something happens to 'wake me up' and tell me not to get too lazy with my way of thinking. Just this weekend I was thinking how much I am going to enjoy living here at the new house. School is over in 15 days and with some luck I would be able to enjoy a little time at home finishing up my painting, etc before I had to go out and find a job. I sat down, made a new budget and things looked pretty good. I had visions of even being able to save a few dollars here and there. Then reality kicked me in the butt.

Wendell and I have been receiving food stamps since his illness and they have helped us out immensely. About the time we moved, we had to re-apply. I understand that since we moved to a different county. Last week I had received my notice that our food stamps had been approved but at a lower benefit. I called to talk to the caseworker but she wasn't in and didn't return my call. Since she hadn't called back, I called her again after school to inquire why the lower benefit and before I got off the phone, our benefit was knocked down too 80% less than what we were receiving. Well, Wendell of course got upset and told me I shouldn't of questioned it but I know in my heart its better to be honest even if it is for the worse. Right???

Now, I am sitting here with my cup of coffee trying to figure out my next plan of action. I know we can do it, just have to convince Wendell of it. Thankfully with the benefits we received before I was able to build up a good start to a stockpile. If I can get the garden in, I won't have to worry about fresh veggies and come late summer I will be able to do some canning. I need to find a part time job or hope to be able to do a lot more cake and cookie baking for some income. Basically, I need to find something I can do to buy a few groceries each week. We can do it! or I should say.... I CAN do it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I do have a question for some of you girls who have a selling blog. One of my thoughts is to put some of the items I found in the house up for sale and possibly some craft items of my own making. Is it worth it? I have tried selling things on Ebay and Itsy before and never done that well. I would love to talk to some of you about it, if possible. Please contact me at goat_creek_bakery@hotmail.com . I can't tell you how much I would appreciate it. Right now, I have a box full of baby bibs and burp cloths that I was trying to sell at our local Farmer's Market last spring. I was thinking about putting them up. What do you think?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If your still reading, thank you. It helps so much to have my blog friends to talk too when the going gets rough. I don't know what I would do without you all.

Take Care and enjoy your Tuesday!,

Debbie

11 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie - I have a craft website that I sold one for years. Sales are very slow which is why I work part time outside the house now. I never had any luck on eBay with crafts. People want rock bottom prices and you just don't make enough to make it worth while. I have heard some people do well on Etsy but I have never tried that. How about a flea market?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I thought I left a message yesterday on your last post. It must be out in blog space somewhere! I have been wanting to get a little online business going myself. I hope there is someone out there who can give you the help you need. How about going to the library, there must be books on starting a small business.
    Good luck
    denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. There isn't any close by for me. I may have to try and see what I can find around here. The little town we live in is having a blue grass festival next weekend, I may have to put some things out in the yard and see if I can attract some customers that way.

    I am working on some cards to advertise my cake/cookie decorating. I still have orders for 4 more cakes from one customer.

    Thank you for getting back to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that selling your finds and crafts on your blog is a great idea! I had some success...but not as much as I wish I had!
    You are such a strong and optomistic woman! You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your food stamps benefits being lowered! One site that another blogger turned me onto is www.shop4freebies.com . I get free samples all the time (shampoo, food, cleaning supplies, etc.) as well as great coupons. It's not much, but I think every little bit counts.

    I sell my items on Zazzle (www.zazzle.com/shellmart) - it is for people to put their photography and/or graphic artistry on gift items. No need to buy inventory.

    I'm not sure about Etsy - I think you have to pay them a portion of your sales. How about trying to sell your items locally - such as on Craigs List? www.craigslist.com

    Also, you could put up a blog to sell your items and add Paypal to it. I know one lady had a "garage sale" blog w/ various items for sale. Can't remember her site though, sorry!

    My husband's aunt sells cakes right out of her home. She's had a lot of word of mouth advertising. Tell everyone what you do, go to the schools, churches, stores where they have party supplies and give them a card/brochure.

    Good luck - you are in my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie,

    The harder we try the further back we seem to get knocked back. I hope and I pray things get better for you. It's so hard trying to carry the load by yourself. Just know I am thinking of you.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry about the food stamps thing. :( And I don't really know much about selling online, but it seems to me that everybody's business is slow right now. I'm no help at all, am I?

    I do think you can grow a good portion of your food, and you can use inexpensive cold frames and such to stretch the growing season. If you can put any of that up it may help you through the winter. Also, can you sign up for commodities anywhere in your area? And consider Angel Food Network or project SHARE if they're available in your area. Here's a website that talks about both: http://www.wholesaledistributorsnet.com/SHARE_food.html

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  8. I KNOW you can do it! You have been thru worse than this and I agree better to be honest about it and not thave to worry instead of them coming looking for the money back. Canning stuff this fall is a great idea and will get you thru alot of the worst times.Besides its so rewarding and much better for you than what you can buy! Keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear about your food stamps being lowered. I wonder why? If I figure anything out on selling on line I'll let you know. I'm in the same boat as you. The deadline for me to go back to work is approaching fast and it's looking pretty bleak. No jobs in the area. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear about your benefits being cut - I hope you'll be able to manage somehow - especially as how we know Wendell likes his food!

    Hopefully your crops will see you ok in the months to come.

    Best wishes to you Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel your pain. I lost my job and using my husband's pay we made 20.00 too much for foodstamps. That was for a family of 6. My husband's insurance went up 40.00 a week so things are getting really tight.
    I started gardening, we now have our utility bill cut way down because we only use electricity for the refrigerator, freezer, and the water pump.
    We also cut the food bill by using coupons, and if you have an aldi's near you their canned good prices are cheaper than any around.
    Dave Ramsey will tell you to prioritize what you pay. Food, House, utility...
    Also I cut my phone bills by using magic jack and it works.
    If you like you can see all the things we are doing on my blog...www.frugalsmith.blogspot.com. I have cut back enough to cover about 2/3 of my missing salary but it's still hard.
    We'll keep you in our thoughts.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete