Sunday, April 19, 2009

Weekend Gardening

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. I spent most of mine trying to recover from the large catering for 350 that we did at school. It was a great experience and will look good on my resume but boy was I tired after a 13 hour day! I enjoyed the cooking/preparing part of the day but not too crazy about the rushing of taking care of the food line and waiting on some really snobby people.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unfortunately for me, Wendell had no pity and decided that since I was off on Friday and it was a beautiful day that we would get busy and put in some of the garden. This year we will have a much bigger garden than we have ever had. Mostly because the ground was always so rocky and hard to dig up. Here is Wendell tilling up the soil before he puts me to work.

We put in our tomatoes, peppers, egg plants and onions. Then he decided I was about to fall over and sent me into the house to go to bed. I was so tired and my ankles/feet hurt so bad.


The rhubarb is really getting big. If you look close, you can see some of the asparagus popping up too. I talked to our teacher and he wants me to bring some in so we can try making some strawberry/rhubarb pie for dessert on Wednesday's buffet. Should be interesting since I have never tried it before.

The asparagus is really popping up all over the patch. I am determined to pick it all because I have heard that if you don't cut it, it won't come up the next year.

I picked enough this weekend for three meals! I love this stuff and we usually wrap it in foil with a little butter, salt and pepper, then put on the grill. Yummy!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other projects in the gardening world were the empty flower pots on the front porch. Wendell loves flowers and wanted to do something out there to brighten the spot some.

He planted some portculaca in pots that sit out on the stoop. Then he planted some minature roses in pots that are sitting at the top of the steps. They both turned out pretty nice.

We are still discovering other plants that have been planted before us. Everyone keeps telling us that when the woman who owns the house lived here, she had all types of flowers. Guess we will see.

Well, I am off to school. I hope you all have a wonderful Monday!

Take Care,

Debbie

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you all had a busy weekend. That asparagus sounds yummy. Nothing better then fresh fruits and veggies out of the garden. Have a great week!

    ~ Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! Can't wait till we have warmer weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie,

    Thank-you for the kind words you left on my blog. I am trying to look at all of this in a positive way but moving back home is not what I wanted. I am thankful we will have somewhere to go but it's really going to be difficult.

    The garden and flowers are looking really good.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure have been busy and I can't wait till you show pictures of all the flowers in bloom:)
    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debbie,
    Sounds like you have a busy weekend. Your flowers and gardens are looking wonderful.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm I will have to time my visit to raid the garden!! Looking good sis!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...a 13 hr. catering event...no wonder you're tired! Sorry your hubby didn't have pity! :) You are going to have quite a garden! Everything just looks great!

    Have a great rest of the week!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't you love volunteer plants? I know it's exhausting, but won't you be glad when you're harvesting those fresh vegetables in a few months! :)

    ReplyDelete