Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Garden and Other Ponderings...

I can't believe its already Thursday. Where has this week gone? Yesterday was our first day back after Spring break and boy were we busy. The Culinary Class is catering an event for 350 people tonight. Yesterday we had to hit it hard to get alot of the prep work done so believe me when I say, I collapsed in bed around 7 am! *laughing*

Today, bright and early, I will have the privilege of working on working on dessert and scalloped potatoes. Then will have to stay and actually work the event, serving drinks and working the line. With luck, I will get home sometime after 8 pm. The good news is that we actually get paid to work this event and we get tomorrow off! Woo Hoo!!! A three day weekend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This past week, it has done nothing but rain. Wendell and I are both getting antsy to start working in the garden. A couple of weeks ago we started noticing that the asparagus was coming up. I LOVE asparagus so you can only imagine how excited I was to have an established patch. We enjoyed our first meal of the green stuff on Easter and boy was it delicious!

Yesterday we actually had a beautiful sunny day in the 60's. When I came home I checked the patch and was able to cut enough for another meal!

The weatherman says it is suppose to be beautiful for the next 5 days. Its suppose to get up into the 70's on Saturday so Wendell and I will be planting. We went to one of the local gardening stores and purchased some tomato and pepper plants. I have hopes of making my own ketchup, salsa and spaghetti sauce this fall.

I also have hopes for my own herb garden. Since I have really gotten into cooking this year, I decided to grow my own fresh herbs. We hope to have Dill, Basil, Oregano, Cilantro, Chives, Thyme, Rosemary and Sage.


I am also hoping for some cucmbers, onions, potatoes, beets, corn and cantaloupe. With luck, I plan to have some sunflowers too! Besides being my favorite flower, I thought it would be nice for the birds we have around here too!


Well, I better get moving. There is a busy day ahead for me. I want to say that I am so happy to be online again. You can only imagine how much I missed you all the three weeks I was offline. I am so ready to get back to my regular blogging.

Take care all and I hope you have a beautiful Thursday!

Take Care,

Debbie

4 comments:

  1. I love a garden. We usually have one but not this year. :( I hope one day to have my own herb garden. I love to cook but don't do it as much as I used to.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - one morning if you come out and you don't have any herbs or veggies left then don't blame me : )

    I have always wanted a garden, but my DH thinks I am crazy so I just have a garden full of perrenials and love them.

    Have a great day!!

    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMMM Aspargus! Of course it will be gone when I get there! But I might have to raid your garden of some other goodies...hehe! Glad to have you back sis!

    ReplyDelete