Friday, March 13, 2009

The Kitchen Update...

Yesterday after school I was able to get to the house and check up on what Wendell has been working on. He has spent most of the week, taking the hardware off the cabinet doors and sanding them down for painting. So far he has only one coat of paint on them but it will definately take two, possibly three. (I didn't make him paint the inside of them, though I probably should have.)

I think they are going to look good, though I think it makes the kitchen look a little smaller once your in it. I told him, it looks nice and cozy!

Tomorrow we are going to buy the hardware for the cabinet doors and the items needed to put my new faucet in. I am also planning to get the faux tin for my backsplash! (Thanks Cindy!)


I think we are going to paint the trim the same color as the cabinets. When Wendell started sanding, the paint color that was on them started to just peel off. You can't see it in this picture but the original color of the kitchen and trim was the same blue-green that you see in the pantry.


We had a teacher come ask us if it were possible for someone in the Culinary class to bake a birthday cake for him. The teacher said of course, that he actually had a cake decorator in the class who could fix him up. Cake decorator a.k.a. me! The cake isn't one of my best as my elbow was really bothering me and I forgot my brace but the teacher absolutely loved it and was impressed by my daffodils. The chocolate icing I used on this cake was great! I wanted to share the recipe but left it at school. Hopefully this weekend I will remember it and post it for those of you who would like it.

As you can see, the leftover icing was a big hit. When I finished putting the cake in the walk-in, I found them squirting the stuff in each others mouths! *laughing*


Thank goodness this is the final class of the day for them. I am sure their teachers would of appreciated the late afternoon sugar high.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today Wendell plans to go back down to the house today and work on either the painting of the cabinets or starting to tear up the ugly carpet in the diningroom. I am hoping he waits on the carpet so I can at least help him. Knowing my husband, he would be dragging that stuff outside, by himself and its too heavy for him to be doing that.

We are planning on taking tomorrow off from the house to pick up an area rug for the bedroom since I received a little assistance from family to do so. Thank God for daddies! With luck, we should be in there no later than the end of March if not sooner!

Hope everyone has a great Friday the 13th!

Take Care,

Debbie




5 comments:

  1. I loved your cake - the daffodils looked wonderful on it! Looking forward to seeing your completed kitchen project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good, Debbie! I used to decorate cakes when the kids were little. My daughter wants to go to our culinary institute to become a patissiere (pastry chef).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie~
    Those cabinets are looking so nice! I rather like the trim work white...it really sets off the color of the cabinet!
    As for the delicious looking cake....Yumm-O!
    The daffodils were the first thing I noticed and they look fantastic...makes me wish Spring would hurry up!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cabinets are looking good! You guys are moving right along! I can't wait to see it all done!
    Your cake is great, love the daffs on it! ;)

    Enjoy your day, and have a great weekend!

    hugs-Kath

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debbie,
    Your kitchen is coming along nicely. I love the color of the cabinets!
    Your cake looks wonderful and yummy...the daffodils look great! The daffodils in my yard are just not coming up and I can't wait for them to bloom.
    Have a great weekend.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete