Thursday, February 5, 2009

What Does Vinegar Do To Pie Crust?

Last night after I posted the 'Never Fail' pie crust recipe I got to thinking, 'what does the vinegar do to the pie crust'? Well, this morning while I was at school, I decided to research it and here is what I found out courtesy of Ochef . It can supply you with alot of useful and interesting information.

Vinegar serves two purposes when you use it in your pie crust. It promotes tenderness and it keeps the crust from getting too brown.

With most pastries, you do not want a lot of gluten to form in your pie crust. Gluten is the stuff that makes the crust tough. Vinegar brings water to the dough, which is essential to the creation of a great pie crust, but also a mighty, gluten-slaying acid. Lemon juice, buttermilk, and sour cream are often found in pastry recipes for the acid they bring to the recipe.

Acid added to your pie crust also helps prevent browning. It is very useful when you have a long-baking pie where the crust might over-brown.

In short, the vinegar is added for its tenderizing effect, rather than the color-control issue.

I hope you find this information helpful. Let me know how those pie crust turn out too! I think I will be teaching Wendell how to make a crust from scratch. Wish me luck, cause we all know how most men love taking directions.

Stay warm and happy baking,

Debbie

1 comment:

  1. Oh so that's what it does :)
    good to know! Thanks again, for sharing!
    Enjoy your day, Kath

    ReplyDelete