Wednesday, February 4, 2009

School Buffet for this Wednesday

Every Wednesday our culinary class has a buffet. We usually serve anywhere from 40 to 70 people. Its a great deal at only $5.00. This week we did really well in the kitchen. There were a few items that were completely new and everyone who ate, really seemed to enjoy them. I have the recipes to most of them, so if you see something that looks interesting, just let me know and I will try to get them for you.



This is the view from the salad side of the buffet. The item in front is a spinach and mandarin salad. Next came my pasta salad, and then we had an apple and walnut salad.


On the meat side of the buffet, we had chopped BBQ pork, turkey mushroom casserole, glazed carrots, fried zucchini, garlic green beans and rice with okra.


Here's a close-up of the pasta salad. I can personally say I did this one and used one of our family recipes... almost. It had rotini pasta, red and green bell peppers, green onion, broccoli, black olives, tomatoes, feta and parmesan cheese. The dressing was olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Almost tasted like what I make for home.



This is a close-up of the spinach and mandarin salad. I helped with this one too! It had spinach, romaine, red onion, slivered almonds, sunflower seeds and mandarin oranges. The dressing was 2 parts olive oil, 1 part lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Fran and I snuck in a little sugar because we thought it was too tart and everyone liked it! Sometimes what the teacher doesn't know, won't hurt him.


This is the okra and rice dish. At first I wasn't too sure of it because unless okra is fried, it seems to be 'slimey'. Surprisingly this wasn't bad. It had okra, onion and BACON in it. A little chicken broth too! It was good.



The glazed carrots were great. I love carrots but I have to wonder if their really all that good for your eyes since I wear glasses. They were made with butter, brown sugar and onion soup mix! I was a little concerned when they read off that ingredient but they turned out really tasty.



Alina in our morning class made cheddar biscuits and they were a hit. I think they tasted just like the ones you get at Red Lobster. When the buffet was over, there might of been 5 left.


And finally.... dessert was a cranberry crumble pie. I am not crazy about cranberries unless their the dried ones in my salad but this turned out really good and we got alot of compliments on it. We made the pie crust in class (another blog entry) and then it had a cheesecake filling and the cranberry mixture with crumb topping. It was yummy!


I hope you enjoyed the buffet. I know the kids worked hard on it and I think they should be proud. The teacher didn't do too bad either.

Debbie



2 comments:

  1. Oh Debbie, I shouldn't have opened this post so close to bedtime! My stomach is growling and my mouth is drooling just looking at these delectable photos!
    Mmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a fun buffet to cook for =D

    ReplyDelete