Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Never Fail Pie Crust

On Tuesday, our teacher asked me to help some of the students make pie crust. Its part of my second year duties in class, for my associates degree. I really enjoy teaching the kids things like this. It has me thinking about maybe trying to have little get-togethers during the summer and try showing them how to do different things. We have talked about it a little bit and some seem open to the idea.

Never Fail Pie Crust


4 cups - All-Purpose Flour
2 cups - Butter flavored Crisco Shortening
1 tbsp - White Sugar
1 tsp - Salt
1/2 cup - Ice Water
1 - egg
1 tbsp - Distilled White Vinegar

1. In a large bowl, mix flour, shortening, sugar and salt together then cut with a pastry cutter until you have a pea size mixture.

2. Add the ice water, vinegar and egg. Combine thoroughly with the pastry cutter.

3. Then roll out on a floured table and add your favorite filling and bake as directed.


The top three crust were made by a couple of the kids in the morning class, Kelsey and Chris.

These are the three made in the afternoon class. I think I did more laughing at these three. Paige, Brittany and Olivia are constantly making me laugh but they did a great job for their first time.

Here's Olivia proudly displaying her pie crust.

This is Paige. This girl has the most beautiful nails.

And here we have Brittany with Katie sneaking into the picture. This girl can sing and her wardrobe is something else too!

The pie crust may have looked a little funny but they were fantastic. Definately the best I had ever made. I am sure the next time they make them, they will all look perfect! Right girls???


Ok, I can't finish this entry without a picture of Fran and I with Billy. What can I say about Billy.... Well, he is a sweetheart and constantly has us shaking our heads wondering about him.

Stay warm,

Debbie



3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a pie crust my Mom makes...with the vinegar. I have lost hers, so I will copy yours and use that...Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie,

    Okay, is it REALLY no fail pie crusts? If so, I've got to try this. I've tried my aunt's before and never could get them to do right. I'm am printing this out and trying it! Thanks so much!

    And I love the pics of the kids. The one with Billy is precious! I just love spirited kids like that! :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog! I have enjoyed your comments!

    Have a great Thursday!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's what I need- a NO fail crust!
    What does the vinegar do?

    Thanks for sharing!

    Hugs-Kath

    ReplyDelete