Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My Version of Jambalaya

Once, I was lucky enough to visit New Orleans and try some of the food there. I really enjoyed the different things we tried but one of my favorites was jambalaya. The only problem now is my stomach doesn't take kindly to all that spice. Solution.... come up with my own version that is tamed down a bit.

INGREDIENTS

1 box - Chicken Helper, Chicken Fried Rice
2 large - Chicken Breast
1 pkg - Polish Keil Basa
1/2 lb - Shrimp, pre-cooked
1/2 cup - Frozen Peas
2, 8 oz cans - Sliced Mushrooms
1 cup - Rice

I first, cut the chicken breast into chunks and cook in a skillet with a little bit of olive oil. Once it is cooked through, I combine the rest of the ingredients and let it come to a boil. Once it starts to boil, I turn the heat down to a simmer and let it go till the rice cooks. (You may have to add a little more water). I do not use the egg that the chicken helper calls for.

Its a quick and simple meal and usually takes around 30 - 40 minutes to complete. Plus only one skillet to wash!

I try to always cook from scratch but the Hamburger and Chicken Helper mixes are nice and quick on those days I don't feel up to a big meal. I am usually lucky to find them at the local Schnuck 10/$10.00. Its so easy to grab one and throw a few extras in it for a great meal.

Hope you enjoy! (especially you Chris! :) )

Debbie

4 comments:

  1. Hey Debbie

    I am going to borrow your Jambalaya, to go with your delicious German Chocolate cake lol.Thanks to you I want to make a recipe notebook and start trying to cook alittle bit more. I'll take pictures of it and send it to you. Hopefully it looks as good as yours.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Debbie

    I'm going to have to borrow (hint, hint) lol this recipe, and try it along with your German Chocolate Cake. Thanks your many recipes I am going to start a recipe book and learn to cook. I could stand to lose a few pounds lol. Thanks Debbie

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds/looks so yummy!
    I have never had Jambalaya-I shoudl try this :)

    Have a great day!
    Hugs-Kath

    ReplyDelete
  4. This definitely looks like a new recipe I need to try! Thanks for sharing it and thank for your encouraging words on my blog. You're right - that dress would take no time to sew...and because of that I could never buy it, especially not for the price they're asking. Maybe I'll pick up some pretty fabric and try to squeeze it in. I know it would cheer me up to make something (besides dinner) again!! I might have to get the set of balls though, they're so cute! : )
    Thanks again for the visit.

    ReplyDelete