Tuesday, February 17, 2009

More Treasures and Random Thoughts

Today is the last day of my five day vacation from school and I woke up feeling extra lazy. I really should go over and paint today but just don't feel like it. I think I have talked myself into a MHBD (Mental Health Baking Day).

Yesterday Wendell wasn't feeling well so I went to the house alone. Luckily it was not long before my friend Regina called and said she was at my service for whatever help I needed. Of course I took her up on it. We decided to get the walls in the kitchen and cabinets cleaned so I can start painting on the primer coat of paint. We got it done in no time with a little teamwork. We could of gotten a lot more done if we had tried but it gets dark around 4:30p - 5:00p and I didn't want to be out there at dark! You can not see a darn thing when you have to go outside.

I also did a little more snooping while there yesterday so I have a few pictures to share.

This is something I noticed the first day we went to look at the house but I did not take a really good look at it until later. Its a good example of how they made due in the 'old days'. Its a homemade vanity table made out of old crates!

Their are arms that slide out and reveal the old crates and drawers it is made out of. I liked how they used an old, wooden spool for the drawer knobs. Besides needing a little facelift, its in excellent shape. I am thinking about using it for my sewing machine. Its a portable one and I have never had a table for it in the 28+ years I have owned it.

Ok, this is for the ladies that can. I had never seen these before but I am taking it that they are lids for the jars. There are a lot of them in the upstairs attic along with hundreds of old canning lids that are so rusted out that I wouldn't dare use them for their intended purpose. Any ideas on what one can do with them?

Wendell found this old lock a few days ago. Its rusted but works!

I actually found two of these books out on the back porch. The paper is a little brittle but in fairly good shape. We tried to find a published date but there wasn't one to be found.

For our clothing portion of the tour.... Every room in this house except for the kitchen and bathroom have at least one closet in it. Each closet is stuffed full of old clothes. Now, I don't know anything about vintage clothing but Danielle seems to think these two items may be worth something... at least to someone. She fell in love with this old coat. Its tapered at the waist and is kinda cute.

I fell in love with this blouse. Unfortunately, I am a little bit 'too blessed' upstairs to wear it.

I have no clue what this is. I found it upstairs in the crawlspace with all the canning jars. Any ideas what it may have been used for?

This I am guessing was used for canning but the holes are too small even for a pint size jar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's about it for today. I am sitting here, feeling guilty for not going back over there today but I need a day just to 'veg out' and relax. Wish I had a good book to read. Maybe I should go to the library.... no... that wouldn't work. All I would want to do is read. I think I just stay home and bake something.

Take Care and I hope you enjoy your Tuesday!

Debbie


8 comments:

  1. Debbie~I love seeing all of the treasures that you find in that house...it's like a time machine!
    Ahhh I would love to come and help you...and fill up my trunk with goodies while I am at it! LOL
    I love that old catalog...how cool would that be framed and put in a gardening shed?
    You are such a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on all the finds! I am trying to remember, but I believe that the canning dipper that you have there is for jelly jars instead of pint jars. I could be wrong, but it looks about right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any day baking is a good day! It must be fun finding all these treasures. The strawberry desert you made looked so yummie and I am a chocolate person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be fun going through things not knowing what treasures you might uncover!

    Have a great rest of the week!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could the wire thingy be some kind of clothes hanger?

    I love looking at old things too - unfortunately we don't have many in our house.

    My fave is the padlock - I love old stuff like that!

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blogger ate my last comment..so I hope this doesn't double post.
    I was telling you that the finds you have are really awesome and not to throw anything away, Antique deals would love to have some of these things. I can't wait to see what else you find...oh and I agree the wire rack is for jelly jar canning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    I know what you mean. Sometimes I just don't want to get up and do my school....but I end up doing it anyway. lol! Well, me and mom have a movie paused while she's on the phone and I'm posting, so, I gotta go.


    Love, Joy =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie ~ I want to come and explore with you!!
    That little vanity is great - it will be perfect for a sewing table! We'd have a lot less waste if more of us had a make-do kind of attitude, wouldn't we!

    ReplyDelete