Tuesday, February 10, 2009

More Happy Surprises

Yesterday I was disappointed that I had to go back to school and Wendell was going to be able to go back to the house and start cleaning. Ok, let me re-word that. I was disappointed that Wendell was going to be able to go back to the house and 'treasure hunt'.



The school day could not go by fast enough. As soon as we were dismissed, I drove over to the house as fast as I legally could get there. My patience were rewarded!


As soon as I got there Wendell told me to open the closet and low and behold... an old bowl! I can not tell you how long I have wished for one of these. I always saw them in antique shops but refused to pay the price they were asking for them.


Next stop was the back porch where we found this old razor with the box. I looked around to see if I could find the strap to go with it but we did not see it anywhere. There is so much junk around there. We have come to the conclusion that this lady had to have a shoe fetish. She even kept the old, falling apart ones. There was a box of heels, no shoe, just heels!


Upstairs, Wendell found a few boxes in one of the closets. Surprise! They had hats in them. All of them looking practically brand new.


I think this one was my favorite. I like the feathers.


This one reminded me of something you would see the young, housewives wearing in the 50's. You can't really tell from this picture but it did have some yellowing.


This was my mystery item. It has a stick, like a plunger. There was an imprint that said 'Rapid Washer' on the front. My guess was it was for washing clothes. Any ideas?


This was the underneath side of it.

Wait till I show you some of the old products we found. I think this lady held onto everything. I so wish I had been able to be there before they auctioned off most of her stuff, but I will save that for another post.

Take care,

Debbie

7 comments:

  1. Hey Debbie, great finds!!! Yes that is for doing laundry...I just bought a brand new one from Lehmans! lol
    Love the hats!
    Cath

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky to be treasure hunting like that!
    I am drooling over the clothes washer!
    Be looking for me...because I'm on my way to help you "Sort" out your treasures....Just look for the big U-Haul truck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup - that's a clothes washer. Your clothes went into a big old tub of hot water and then you plunged that contraption up and down.... Hand agitation! Have fun hunting antiques!

    ~J~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky!!!! Those are awesome finds. I personally shave (when I shave throughout the summer) with a straight razor. They have gotten to be expensive! That's an awesome little find there!

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think(but don't know)that that clothes washer is supposed to either wring out or soak the clothes....I'm not sure. But, then again, I'm only 10 sooo....=D

    Happy Valentines Day!
    Love, Joy =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what great stuff. Those hats remind me of my grandmother. I think she had the one with the feather ha ha

    ReplyDelete