Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Homemade Cream Horns

One of Wendell's favorite things are cream horns. Every time we grocery shop, he is throwing a package of the things in the cart. Well, I came across a recipe one day at school and decided that I could do those. Then it has sat on the corner of my desk with all of my 'recipe's to try'. Since I was having a lazy day, I thought I would tackle it.

INGREDIENTS


1 box - Sugar Cones (you will need 5 cones)
1 sheet - Puff Pastry, thawed

~Filling~
1 pkg. 8 oz. - Cream Cheese
1/4 cup - Confectioner's Sugar
2 cups - Whipped Topping
1 tsp - Vanilla Extract

~Other Ingredients~
1 Egg
1 tbsp - Water
1/2 cup - Turbinado (raw) Sugar

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F; line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray a light coating of cooking spray on this to prevent sticking.

Prepare the sugar cones by wrapping each of them in foil, then coat them also with nonstick cooking spray. Cut the puff pastry sheet into strips, about 1/2 inch wide.* Then form the horns by wrapping 4 strips of the pastry around each mold overlapping the strips to prevent gaps.

Whisk the egg and water together in a small bowl; place the turbinado sugar in a shallow dish. Lightly brush each horn with the egg wash.

Roll the horns in the sugar, coating well, then transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden, cool on a rack for at least 2 minutes; then remove the molds. Cool the pastry completely before filling with the cream mixture.



To prepare the cream for your horns, place the cream cheese into your mixing bowl and begin mixing it on a medium speed. Add the 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, this will help it smooth out. Then 1/4 cup of the confectioner's sugar. Once these are all mixed together well, add 2 cups of the whipped topping. The cream will take on a glossy sheen.

Next you will place the cream into a pastry bag with a large star tip and begin filling your horns.

Serve with assorted fresh berries if you like.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was happy to report that these were also a big hit with Wendell. If I am not careful, he will be getting spoiled. Two homemade desserts in less than a week!

I had hopes of making some fresh bread too but was out of yeast. With it being a 40 minute trip into town, I decided to wait for another day for the bread.


That was it for around here. Everyone was kind of lazy. Around 8 o'clock, everyone, including Tabitha our cat, retired to the bedroom to watch a little television and go to bed.


I hope you all had a great Tuesday. Its back to school today so I better get moving. Enjoy your Wednesday.


Take Care,


Debbie

5 comments:

  1. All I can say is...


    ...YUM!!!!!!

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie~Those cream horns look so delicious!
    Who knew that they would be so easy to make!
    By the way, I love all of the good things that you are finding at that house...You are indeed a very lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie,
    Those cream horns sound so good. I've made the eclairs and they are so good & easy, too. Thanks for sharing & for visiting my new blog.
    hugs,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMY!!! have you ever heard of moon pie? you make dough like a cream puff uses, and if i remember right you mix cream cheese and pudding together and top it with hershey's chocolate. i will have to find the recipe for you. it is super yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. My. I LOVE cream horns and I can't have them anymore....darn it!

    They look fantastic!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete