Saturday, February 21, 2009

Christmas Challenge - 12 month work in progress



Since I did not want today to be a total loss, I decided to work on one of my christmas challenge goals.

Two years ago I decided to make a cookbook for our children, filled with a lot of their favorite recipes. Most are recipes that had been handed down from my mom and grandmothers.

The first year, I was busy typing up enough recipes to fill a small 1 1/2 inch binder. I even added pictures of the animals on the farm to make it a little more memorable for us. Last christmas, I decided to make it a tradition to hand down more recipes, and gave them a folder filled with 25 to 30 recipes that they enjoyed over the years.

This has been a good project for me as it forces me to sit down and write down a lot of the recipes I just do by memory. I want something that my kids can use and even hand down to their children.

My challenge this year is to add at least 5 or more recipes a month to their binders. So far I have 10 typed out with at least that many more in my notebook, ready for typing. Do any of you have a project like this going for your children?

Now I need to get busy on trying out a new recipe. Wendell is complaining he is hungry so I am planning to do chicken with mushroom sauce. Mmmmmmmm..... I will be sure to share the recipe if it turns out good.

Take care and stay warm,

Debbie

3 comments:

  1. What wonderful keepsake gift!
    My mom did something like that for us, she made up reicpe cards with family recipes and little graphics and then laminated them, then she made us each a recipe box! I Love mine, she is adding new recipes all time...it's a gift that just keeps getting better over the years! it's one of my favorite things and I know your kids will cherish it so much, more and more as the years go on!

    have a wonderful weekend!
    hugs-Kath

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Debbie! I love what you're doing! It makes me all weepy! lol Can I add one thing here? I have several of my Grandma's recipes and the best part about them is that they're all hand-written. It makes me cry to see her scrawled letters on bits of paper...the way she looped her L's etc.
    Thanks for all the recipes you've been sharing...I must try your bread pudding one. It looks amazing!
    Cath

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually starting that now. I thought about it when my eyes started going and I might not be able to make one so I'm doing it now. I figure it's a good thing to give them. they like all my cooking so now they can make it too. I love your blog. have a blessed sunday.

    ReplyDelete