Sunday, February 22, 2009

Chicken with Mushroom Sauce and Bread Pudding

Yesterday may have been a lazy day but I did do some cooking. I had too otherwise the day would of been a total waste. Last night's supper was from a recipe I took from the magazine Wendell bought me a month ago. It was called 'Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook'.

Last nights recipe was: Chicken with Mushroom Sauce.


INGREDIENTS


2 tsp - Cornstarch
1/2 cup - Fat-Free Milk (I used 2%)
4 - Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast halves
1 tbsp - Olive Oil
1/2 lb - Fresh Mushrooms, sliced
1/2 - Medium Onion, sliced and separated into rings
1 tbsp - Reduced-Fat Butter (I used regular)
1/4 cup - Sherry or Chicken Broth
1/2 tsp - Salt
1/8 tsp - Pepper

*In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and milk until smooth; set aside. Flatten chicken to 1/4-inch thikness. In a large, nonstick skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Remove and keep warm.

*In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Stir in the sherry or broth, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir in cornstarch mixture and put into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken.

Makes 4 servings.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For dessert I made a Caramel Bread Pudding. It was from a recipe that we used at school for our big catering job. This was a hit with my man who has a big sweet tooth!

Caramel Bread Pudding


INGREDIENTS


6 slices - Day-old bead, cut into 1/2-inch squares
1 cup - Hot Water
1 cup - Brown Sugar, packed
4 - Eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups - Warm Milk
1/2 cup - Sugar
1/2 tsp - Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp - Ground Cinnamon
1/8 tsp - Salt

Makes 6 servings.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

1. Place the bread in a greased, 2-quart baking dish. (I usually spray with non-stick cooking spray for easy clean up later.)

2. Combine the water and brown sugar; pour over the bread.

3. Combine the remaining ingredients; pour over the bread also.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

Caramel Sauce

INGREDIENTS:


1/2 cup - Sugar
1/2 cup - Brown Sugar
1/2 cup - Butter
1/2 cup - Heavy Cream or Whipping Cream
1 tsp - Vanilla Extract

Makes about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of caramel.

1. Cook over low to medium heat in a saucepan until it thickens.

2. Pour over the bread pudding, breaking through with your spoon so the caramel can penetrate the pudding.


This was a wonderful dinner and I amazed myself at having everything ready at once. Maybe this cooking class is helping me organize my time better in the kitchen! :)

Enjoy and Take Care,

Debbie


2 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie,
    Thanks for visiting me at my blog and for your kind words...it means alot to me. I was just reading your blog and am touch by what you have been going through also.
    I believe that it is times like these that make us realize what is most important in our lifes(each other, our children, our family, and our friends)...and that we can do with alot less material things.
    I read that you have an embroidery machine...me too!! I've been machine embroidery for almost 16 years now and this past year traded up to a small professional embroidery machine. I love it, but I'm not sure if I would of gotten it if I had known what was coming with the economy. My special order have really dropped off...hope they will pick back up this fall.
    Your Caramel Bread Pudding looks wonderful!! I'm going to have to make it.
    Take care and I hope you'll come back to visit and chat with me.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family loves bread pudding! That recipe sounds yummmy.

    ReplyDelete