Friday, January 9, 2009

Taco Seasoning


Good Morning! Is everyone ready for the weekend? I had looked forward to going back to school but boy this first week back is killer. Last night I came home with two papers to type for Communication Arts and a quiz to study for. I ended up falling asleep at 8:15 pm!

Today I wanted to share with everyone a recipe for making your own taco seasoning. We love tacos but I always seem to run out of the store bought seasoning packets when it comes time to make them. I searched for recipes and found many. Then I looked at the ingredient list on the back of our favorite one to compare it to what I was finding. This is what I came up with and it turned out really good. It wasn't really spicey which is one of the things we liked about it.

INGREDIENTS:

6 tsp - Chili Powder
5 tsp - Paprika
4 1/2 tsp - Cumin
2 1/2 tsp - Onion Powder
1 1/2 tsp - Oregano, ground
1/2 tsp - Garlic Powder
1/8 tsp - Cayenne Pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a jar that has a tight fitting lid. Mix it by shaking it well.

We use about 3 tablespoons per pound of meat. The pack you buy in the store has about that much in it. Store the leftover mix in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. (If it last that long!)

I am constantly on the lookout for items that I can make from scratch that will save us money, so I will be adding to the list of seasonings and mixes. Rest assured that I will be sharing those recipes with you!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, that looks like an interesting seasoning! Will have to try that next time I whip up some ground meat!

    Thanks for the recipe!

    Godo luck with the schooling!

    ReplyDelete