Friday, January 2, 2009

Making Butter at Home


As I mentioned in my previous post, I am challenging myself to learning at least one skill a month. This month I decided to make butter, thanks to directions on a fellow blogger's site. It sounded so simple, and easy. I figured I couldn't screw it up. Well, as you can see in the picture, it did turn out pretty good, and I learned another lesson on paying attention to what your doing!

I started off with buying a quart of heavy cream that was $1.92 at our local Wal-Mart. I poured the entire quart, cold, into the mixing bowl of my KitchenAid mixer. Next your suppose to turn the mixer on its lowest setting, and let it run for 10 to 15 minutes. I did this but didn't notice any immediate change in the cream. The directions said to run your scraper along the edges to make sure it is all mixed together. You are suppose to let it continue until you have whipped the cream to the stiff peaks stage. Well after about 10 more minutes, I still wasn't there so I decided to turn my mixer up to four. (the settings go from one to ten)

After about 10 minutes, I got to the stiff peaks stage and the cream began to take on a pale yellow cast. The next step is to see the whey beginning to separate. It is a white, milky substance. Its not butter until you can see the whey. I continued beating, and scraping the sides of the bowl until the mixture started breaking down, and I could see puddles of whey. (Yeah!)

This was the time where I should of added my garlic flavoring, as I was hoping to make garlic butter. Notice the words, I should of... I continued to let it mix, and decided to wash a few dishes that I had collected in the sink. It wasn't two minutes before I heard liquid flying up out of the bowl. The whey was going everywhere and I had a nice glob of butter in my whisk attachment. At first I was upset for my stupidity but then started laughing when I noticed the house cat and dog lapping it up off the floor, as fast as they could.

After I cleaned the mess, I noted that it was too late to add the flavoring but it was alright. I had delicious butter and I had made it myself. I took it out of my bowl, and made a rectangle shaped block, squeezing all the extra whey out of it. Next I took the butter, and cut it into sticks. This was then put into the freezer so I can take it out next time I make homemade rolls, which will be this weekend. Yummy!

Despite the adventure, I will be trying this again, and definately paying more attention. I still want to make my garlic butter, and some strawberry butter for bagels. If you figure in the time it took to make it, I probably did not save a whole lot by doing it myself. I usually pay between $1.99 to $2.19 for butter in the grocery store but I have the satisfaction of knowing I can make it myself.

Let me know if you try it, and how it turns out.
Debbie

4 comments:

  1. everything looks so yummy!! i am an official follower now, don't really know how this blog stuff works. keep up the good work. can't wait till we can embroider together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you were successful with making butter. It is something I have been thinking about myself. My husband wants some made with raw cream, difficult to find, hence I have not started yet. But your idea to use store bought would give me the chance to sharpen my skills first. You've inspired me to just jump in and give it a whirl.

    By the way I was thrilled to see a link to my blog on your favorite's list, my first! Hope you enjoy the posts. I bookmarked you to my desktop so I can follow your adventures. Learning one new skill a month is an awesome challenge, sounds like the kind of challenges I pose to myself. I may just join you in this and see what I can learn in the next year too.

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. home made butter is the best we used to make it when I was a kid and I am hoping to make it if the milking of this cow ever gets some where!!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! what an inspiration! could you share the recipe in better detail?

    ReplyDelete