Monday, January 5, 2009

Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry



I had been craving chinese food for three weeks now, and last night I finally got my wish! Well almost, if making it myself counts. It turned out really good, and Wendell gave it a nine out of ten but only because he said, I didn't use enough salt. I simply told him that is what the salt shaker is for. The recipe is really simple. The worse part of the entire recipe is having to cut all the vegetables but the results are definately worth it.

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 lbs - Beef Round Steak, cut into thin strips
2 large - Carrots, sliced diagonally
1 medium - Red Onion, sliced in half moons
1 lb - Button Mushrooms, sliced
1 lb - Broccoli Florets
2 cups - Beef broth (reserve 1/4 cup)
5 tbsp - Soy Sauce
2 tbsp - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 tsp - Garlic Salt
2 tbsp - Corn Starch

I begin by putting the olive oil in the bottom of my electric wok. (you can use a regular skillet on the stove top) Add round steak, and sprinkle with the garlic salt; brown the meat thoroughly.

Once the beat has browned, add all but the 1/4 cup of reserved broth. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.

Next add carrots, onions, mushrooms, and broccoli. Cover and let vegetables steam until the broccoli is as tender as you like it. We like ours with a little bit o a crunch, about 5 to 7 minutes.

While the vegetables are steaming, add the corn starch to the reserved broth, and mix thoroughly. Once the vegetables are the desired tenderness, add the broth with corn starch, and let thicken. Stir gently.

Now serve over your favorite rice or noodles.

*If you worry about salt, I would use a low sodium soy sauce, and substitute the garlic salt with garlic powder.

I hope you enjoy!

Stay warm,

Debbie

1 comment:

  1. That looks GOOD! I tell hubby the same about salt and after 14 years he finally quit complaining!! Lol You use less salt if you just add after you fill your plate. Thanks for your comment on my blog and So sorry about your situation.. I have had friends and family around me losing theirs and its so tough to see them go through it...
    Have a good night!

    ReplyDelete