Tuesday, January 13, 2009

German Chocolate Cake



Today is DH’s birthday. He is 44 years old. There is not a day that has gone by in the past two months that I haven’t heard how old he is getting, everything is falling apart, etc. Tell me about it! I’m four years and one month older than he is, so I have been there and done that! *laughing*


He decided that he wanted a german chocolate cake for his birthday, so I started researching for a good recipe. I found a great cake and frosting recipe on www.recipezaar.com . Unfortunately, I did not have all the ingredients I needed to make the cake but I did have a couple old box mixes and the ingredients I needed to do the icing from scratch.

I will share the cake recipe only because it was given such a high rating on the recipe site and I will use it the next time. The icing recipe turned out great! DH says its even better than the store bought.

German Chocolate Cake

Ingredients:

1/2 cup - boiling water
4 ounces - sweet cooking German chocolate
2 cups - sugar
1 cup - butter, softened
4 - egg yolks
1 tsp - vanilla
2 1/2 cups - cake flour
1 tsp - baking soda
1 tsp - salt
1 cup - buttermilk
4 - egg whites, stiffly beaten

*Heat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 3, 8-inch round pans and lightly flour.

Pour boiling water on the chocolate, stirring until chocolate is melted; cool.

Next, mix sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time. Beat in the chocolate and vanilla on low speed.

Mix in the flour, baking soda and salt alternately with the buttermilk, beating after each addition until the batter is smooth.

Fold in the egg whites.

Divide the batter among the pans.

Bake in oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.

Let cake cool, then top with Coconut-Pecan Frosting.

German Chocolate Cake Frosting

Ingredients:

1 cup - evaporated milk
1 cup - sugar
1 - egg yolk
1/2 cup - butter
1 tsp - vanilla
1 1/2 cups - flaked coconut
1 cup - pecans, chopped

In a medium-sized sauce pan, combine the first five ingredients over medium heat and stir until thickened. This will take at least 20 minutes.

Add the coconut and pecans, beat until thick enough to spread. Take off the heat to cool. This will let it thicken up a little more also.

The cake turned out wonderful and the frosting was great! DH couldn' wait to cut into it. I feel bad I didn't do the cake from scratch but I will. I will be sure to report on how it turns out.

Stay warm!

Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment