Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Fun Cookie Suckers


You know those lollipops we see at the souvenir shops? The big, multi-colored ones that take forever to eat? Well, I always thought they were so neat. When I saw this recipe, I knew I would have to try them.

The original idea was to make them and put them on my Christmas tree. They were really too big for the tree when I made them the size suggested in the recipe so maybe next year I will make them smaller, using toothpicks for the sticks. They really turned out neat, at least I thought they did.

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 cup - Butter, softened
3 ounces - Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup - White Sugar
1 - Egg
1 tsp - Vanilla Extract
2 3/4 cup - All-Purpose Flour
1 tsp - Baking Powder
1/4 tsp - Salt
Assorted colors of paste food coloring
24 lollipop sticks

In a bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese, and sugar until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla; then beat until smooth.

In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Next add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, one cup at a time. Stir until a soft dough forms. Divide the dough into fourths. Tint each, with a different food color. (I used blue, red, green, and yellow) Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for two hours.

Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F. Working with each color, shape dough into 3/4 inch balls. For each cookie, place 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue and 1 yellow ball together to make one large rainbow colored ball. Shape it into a 12 inch long roll (like a snake). Starting at one end, coil the roll around to make a 2 3/4 inch round cookie. Place the cookie onto a lightly greased baking sheet, about 3 inches apart from the other cookies. Carefully insert the lollipop sticks into the bottoms of each cookie.

Bake the cookies for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool and store in an airtight container.

For a personal touch, I wrapped each cookie in a cellophane bag, and tied it shut with a piece of curling ribbon. I thought they turned out really cute. They were great for the holidays. They would be great for a child's birthday favor, or would of been really cute tied onto their Christmas gift.

I hope you will find this recipe useful. Happy baking!

Debbie

1 comment:

  1. Oh would my big girl have fun doing that! Geez Debbie, not sure where to start...cookies or casseroles?! lol

    ReplyDelete