Friday, January 30, 2009

Chicken Quesadillas...


There is a little restaurant in Cape Girardeau, called Burritoville, that Wendell and I love to visit. The food is very reasonable and the portions are large. Wendell loves their chicken quesadilla and always orders it when we have a chance to go there.

Well, I am always up for the challenge to copying a recipe and the quesadilla wasn't any different so yesterday I got to work. I knew I could do it better! I really don't have a set recipe but I will try to break it down for you. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Chicken Quesadillas

INGREDIENTS

3 large - Chicken Breast

1 pkg. - Fajita Mix (I used Wal-Mart brand)
1 pkg. - Tortillas
Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1/4 cup - Water

I boiled the chicken breast until they were cooked thoroughly. I removed them and let them cool; then sliced and cut them into bite-size pieces. Next, I put them into a skillet and add the fajita mix and 1/4 cup water. Let it warm up and mix together thoroughly.

I then warmed up my griddle, on the stove top, and began putting together my first quesadilla. I take some cheese and spread it on half of the tortilla. Next I layer some of the chicken mixture on top of the cheese, only to be followed by another handful of cheese. Next fold it in half and place it on the hot griddle. I then place my tea kettle, filled with water and place it on top of the quesadilla to weigh it down. (this is how I get the nice grill marks) Let it sit for a few minutes to let the cheese melt and then flip over to the other side and repeat.

Take it off the griddle when cheese has melted and cut into four sections. We serve it with a side of sour cream.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was told my version was even better than Burritovilles! Score one for the italian girl!

I thought that I would share what else was on the plate. The rice is a pre-packaged mix, Mahatma Saffron Yellow Seasoning and Long Grain Rice. It comes in a gold and yellow bag and can be found with the rice. Wendell and I really like this because its something different.

The salad is another copy-cat recipe of mine. There is a pizza place here that serves what they call their 'Southwest Salad' . I always knew what veggies to put in it but couldn't figure out the dressing. Then came Alina, one of the girls in my culinary class. She works as a waitress at the restaurant and was happy to help me fill in the 'blanks'. Here is that recipe...

Southwest Taco Salad

INGREDIENTS:

Romaine Lettuce
Red Leaf Lettuce
Green Pepper
Red Onion, sliced thin and halved
Roma Tomatoes, sliced thin
Tortilla Chips
Jalapeno Peppers
Red Radishes, thinly sliced
Hidden Valley Ranch 'Spicy Ranch' Dressing

I didn't put any measurements on this recipe because it all depends on how much salad you basically want and what you like to put in it. When I make it for just two, I use about 4 or 5 leaves each of the romaine and red leaf lettuce. I then cut the other veggies and add it to the lettuce; take a large handful (or two) of the tortilla chips and gently break them into bite-size pieces. Next, add the dressing. I used between 1/4 and 1/3 cup. The dressing, along with the jalapenos give the salad a nice 'kick'!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope I have given you a few more ideas for supper. Let me know how you like it or if you do something a little different. I am always open for suggestions!

Debbie

1 comment:

  1. Debbie...I Looovvvveee Quesdilla's. Anyway they are made!
    I will have to copy this recipe from you and make them next week!
    Mmmmm! My tummy is growling and my mouth is drooling just thinking about them!

    ReplyDelete