Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Aprons

I am constantly being accused of never doing anything for myself, and always putting everyone else first. Well yesteday, I did something.... just for me! Ever since I started working on my Associates Degree in Culinary Arts, I have had the desire to sew myself a few aprons. My biggest problem seemed to be that I could never find a pattern that I liked. I wanted something like the aprons my grandmothers use to wear.

Yesterday I went to the local bookstore just to browse. I had no intention of buying anything until I came across this book called "A Is for Apron" by Nathalie Mornu. It was filled with pictures of old, vintage aprons, and patterns for 25 aprons to make for your very own. I had to get it. It was just the type of aprons I had in my head. I bought the book with Christmas money my son gave me. (Actually didn't spend it on bills, like I probably should of, or someone else.... just me)


This one is called the 'Josephine', designed by Valerie Shrader. I love it! It reminded me of an apron I saw previously on a fellow bloggers website. I ended up buying a cute, italian pasta themed print. Now I just need to pick up some red material for the sash and ruffles, and I will be ready to cut it out, and sew.

The other design I want to do is called the 'Cakeland', designed by Betsy Couzins. I really like the layered look of it, and the ball fringe!



The book is filled with so many possibilities and 25 templates to draw up your own patterns. It also helps with showing you the several techniques one would use when sewing an apron. I can't wait to get started.

Sewing is one of the many talents I inherited from my dear mother. I remember her spending endless hours at her sewing machine, creating dresses for me to wear. I loved wearing my home made clothes because I knew they were made with love. Unfortunately, I was blessed with sons who didn't entertain the desire to learn how to sew but they did appreciate my talents when it came to Halloween and they had a certain character they wanted to be.

As it stands right now, I would highly recommend this book for anyone who loves aprons, and likes to sew. That may change once I try getting my pattern made from one of the templates, but right now I think this would be a great book for someone with at least a little sewing experience.

Now all I need is quiet time this weekend to start sewing. Thankfully I had not packed away my sewing machine yet. I'll be sure to post pictures once I get one done.

Take care and stay warm tonight,

Debbie

1 comment:

  1. Hi Debbie, I have no idea were Marble hill is! But I am in Lebanon off of I-44 between Roall and Springfield. Its a fairly good sized town of 12,000+. They think they are bigger then they are!!LOL I have lived here all my life and probably wont ever move. Unless God moves me!
    I love aprons but I can never seem to find one when I need it!! I dont even think I have one now.. It would probably save alot of my clothes if I used them! I am not the neatest person in the world!! Have a good night.

    ReplyDelete